Inserting in iWork

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Inserting in iWork

Postby janine » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:59 am

I recently asked someone at Apple to explain why iWork won't insert AppleWorks WP documents. It seems strange since it inserts Word and every other non-apple kind of document well. I was told you had to open, copy and paste AW documents into iWOrks. I wasn't too happy with that answer. Any thoughts? Didn't AW/CW version 5 have that same problem when it first came out?
janine

Re: Inserting in iWork

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:08 pm

janine wrote:I recently asked someone at Apple to explain why iWork won't insert AppleWorks WP documents. It seems strange since it inserts Word and every other non-apple kind of document well. I was told you had to open, copy and paste AW documents into iWOrks. I wasn't too happy with that answer. Any thoughts? Didn't AW/CW version 5 have that same problem when it first came out?

I am refering to Pages not KeyNote with this problem.

Postby Dale » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:41 am

janine wrote:I recently asked someone at Apple to explain why iWork won't insert AppleWorks WP documents. It seems strange since it inserts Word and every other non-apple kind of document well. I was told you had to open, copy and paste AW documents into iWOrks. I wasn't too happy with that answer. Any thoughts? Didn't AW/CW version 5 have that same problem when it first came out?

Janine

You can't insert any document type into Pages. That is, there is no Insert menu command like there is in AppleWorks.

Instead, you can open an AW WP document in Pages using its File > Open menu command. You have to do the same with a Word document too.

I don't recall AW 5 any problem like this, but then I've never used the Insert menu command much either.

Cheers

Dale.
Dale

Postby Janine » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:50 am

Dale wrote:

Janine

You can't insert any document type into Pages. That is, there is no Insert menu command like there is in AppleWorks.

Instead, you can open an AW WP document in Pages using its File > Open menu command. You have to do the same with a Word document too.

I don't recall AW 5 any problem like this, but then I've never used the Insert menu command much either.

Cheers

Dale.

Actually - I used the wrong wording (old habits die hard) In Pages, the equivalent to inserting another type of document is "Choose" from the Insert menu, which allows you to 'insert' the text from another file without opening, copying and pasting. But .... it does not work for AW files.
Janine

Postby Warren Williams » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm

Janine wrote:
Dale wrote:

Janine

Cheers

Dale.

Actually - I used the wrong wording (old habits die hard) In Pages, the equivalent to inserting another type of document is "Choose" from the Insert menu, which allows you to 'insert' the text from another file without opening, copying and pasting. But .... it does not work for AW files.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I'ave been able to open AppleWorks 6 word processing documents pretty consistently with Pages. But Pages only opens AppleWorks 6 word processing documents -- it will not open AppleWorks 5 files, AppleWorks 6 templates, or AppleWorks 6 drawing, painting, database or spreadsheet documents.

Try it: Create a small AppleWorks 6 word processing document and save it. Then switch to Pages and try to open it. It should work.
Warren Williams

Postby Janine » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:31 pm

My problem is not with Opening AppleWorks files it is with 'Choosing' from the Insert menu to place AW wordprocessing files in a pre-existing Pages file - ie. a newspaper containing WP articles by various students/authors. For example - a school newspaper - many students write articles and other students are responsible for laying them out in Pages (or another DTP program).

Thanks though!

Warren Williams wrote:
Janine wrote:
Dale wrote:

Janine

I don't recall AW 5 any pr

oblem like this, but then I've never used the Insert menu command much either.

Cheers

Dale.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I'ave been able to open AppleWorks 6 word processing documents pretty consistently with Pages. But Pages only opens AppleWorks 6 word processing documents -- it will not open AppleWorks 5 files, AppleWorks 6 templates, or AppleWorks 6 drawing, painting, database or spreadsheet documents.

Try it: Create a small AppleWorks 6 word processing document and save it. Then switch to Pages and try to open it. It should work.
Janine

"Inserting"

Postby JE » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:16 pm

I think I understand what you are saying.

1. Open the AW WP document in Pages, then copy and paste the content into your already existing Pages document.

or

2. Open the AW WP document in AW, then copy and paste the content into your already existing Pages document.

Your question, I think, goes to combining documents. I'm not sure that's possible.
JE

Postby Dale Clarke » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:45 am

I have saved Applework items as a PDF and then inserted in Pages, especially database items and certain cells from Spreadsheet. I also now do not use a database just spotlight and pages templates.
Dale Clarke

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo