HTML Links in Cross Platform PDFs not Working

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

HTML Links in Cross Platform PDFs not Working

Postby John B » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:38 pm

I have created a newsletter in Pages. The document includes HTML links which work fine when the doc stays in Pages format. When I use the Print Command/Save as PDF and then open the document on a Mac using Acrobat Reader, the links continue to work. They do not work in Preview. The same is true when I use the Export command to PDF.

On a PC, the links do not work at all on the same PDF document exported from Pages and opened in Acrobat Reader.

Is this a known problem with cross-platform PDFs created by Pages? Is there any workaround so that a PC user might be able to open a PDF document and use the html links. (As a side note, the pdf document opens OK on the Windows using Acrobat. The issue is that the links do not work.)

Thanks in advance.

John
John B

HTML Links in Cross Platform PDF not Working

Postby JJ » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:17 pm

Do you know what version of Acrobat Reader is being used on the PC? If it is not the latest version they could try installing the latest version of Acrobat Reader on the PC.

Cheers
JJ
JJ

Re: HTML Links in Cross Platform PDFs not Working

Postby Dale » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:43 am

John B wrote:I have created a newsletter in Pages. The document includes HTML links which work fine when the doc stays in Pages format. When I use the Print Command/Save as PDF and then open the document on a Mac using Acrobat Reader, the links continue to work. They do not work in Preview. The same is true when I use the Export command to PDF.

On a PC, the links do not work at all on the same PDF document exported from Pages and opened in Acrobat Reader.

Is this a known problem with cross-platform PDFs created by Pages? Is there any workaround so that a PC user might be able to open a PDF document and use the html links. (As a side note, the pdf document opens OK on the Windows using Acrobat. The issue is that the links do not work.)

This was a known issue with Mac OS X 10.3 and earlier. Apparently Mac OS X 10.4 will produce PDF files that recognise certain types of links. NB This is a limitation of Mac OS X rather than Pages. You see, Pages just uses Mac OS X's 'Save as PDF' feature.

The only workaround I'm aware of is to buy the expensive, full version of Adobe Acrobat. It has its own PDF 'engine' that will create PDF files with working links.

Also, a reason the link may not work on the PC is that the person may not be using the latest version of Adobe Reader. Why do I suggest this? Because you mentioned that links work on a Mac using Adobe Reader. There's no real difference between the same version of Adobe Reader on the Mac and PC. So it seems to me the reason a PDF behaves differently on both platforms is because there is a different Adobe Reader being used on both platforms.

Cheers.
Dale

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo