Layering

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Layering

Postby redbeard45 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:53 am

I am enjoying using Pages but there is one bit that is really annoying me. I have created a layout that uses squares of colours with images in between. I have placed text frames on the coloured squares. If I put the squares to the back, I can no longer click on the them to get the handles to resize etc. I sure miss the graphics tool (arrow) of Appleworks to click on stuff. Even picking up text boxes after they have been created seems to quite an effort. What am I doing wrong.
Cheers
redbeard45

Re: Layering

Postby Peggy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:39 pm

redbeard45 wrote:I am enjoying using Pages but there is one bit that is really annoying me. I have created a layout that uses squares of colours with images in between. I have placed text frames on the coloured squares. If I put the squares to the back, I can no longer click on the them to get the handles to resize etc. I sure miss the graphics tool (arrow) of Appleworks to click on stuff. Even picking up text boxes after they have been created seems to quite an effort. What am I doing wrong.
Cheers

Once an object has been moved to the back you can no longer select it by clicking on it. It's not intuitive to activate the object layer, unlike the arrow/draw tool in AppleWorks. This is easier to do if you have the layout showing, View > Show Layout. Click outside of the layout area & then click & drag the cursor toward the object you want to select until the handles appear. You do need to move it to the front before trying to resize it. Unlike AppleWorks, you don't need to encompass the whole object, just touch any part of it until the handles appear.
Peggy

Thanks

Postby redbeard45 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:42 pm

Many thanks Peggy. I actually found the solution in another post - I'm obviosuly not the only one that has had this issue. I have downloaded all the Pages movies from Atomic Learning but it doesn't cover this sort of stuff. I am gradually learning the quirks of Pages - I like it but it is sure different in its interface / operation. I hope Apple react to the feedback and think of some changes in version 2. I thank you very much for taking the trouble to reply. It is this collective sharing and willingness to help that makes being part of the Mac community so great.
Cheers
redbeard45

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo