AW6 and iWork

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

AW6 and iWork

Postby Gary Meader » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:45 pm

I recently created a series of calendar pages in AW6 using the assisstant. Sized them, saved them as tif files and imported them into a Pages document making a 13 page calendar project. I also sized, etc. black and white images in Photoshop 7 and imported them into the same document. I saved the entire file as a PDF and burned the file onto a disc. I took the disc to my local service bureau to be proofed and to get an estimate on paper choice, etc. The photos look fine, but the calendar grids and the type in them are totally jaggy. What gives here? Is there a preference setting that allows the files to be pdf'd without compression? They look like jpegs on a billboard. It has been suggested that I create the calendar months in Illustrator. But that's a whole new learning curve for me, and the time crunch is beginning. Any ideas on this? Thanks
Gary Meader

Re: AW6 and iWork

Postby haumann » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:35 am

Gary Meader wrote:I recently created a series of calendar pages in AW6 using the assisstant. Sized them, saved them as tif files and imported them into a Pages document making a 13 page calendar project. I also sized, etc. black and white images in Photoshop 7 and imported them into the same document. I saved the entire file as a PDF and burned the file onto a disc. I took the disc to my local service bureau to be proofed and to get an estimate on paper choice, etc. The photos look fine, but the calendar grids and the type in them are totally jaggy. What gives here? Is there a preference setting that allows the files to be pdf'd without compression? They look like jpegs on a billboard. It has been suggested that I create the calendar months in Illustrator. But that's a whole new learning curve for me, and the time crunch is beginning. Any ideas on this? Thanks

I'm not sure if it will help, but you might try the "AppleWorks >Preferences >General" menu item, and check the box "Fractional Character Widths" before saving and PDF-ing to influence AW's smoothing of characters. You might also want to experiment with a different font.

John@was
haumann

Re: AW6 and iWork

Postby Gary Meader » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:06 am

haumann wrote:
Gary Meader wrote:I recently created a series of calendar pages in AW6 using the assisstant. Sized them, saved them as tif files and imported them into a Pages document making a 13 page calendar project. I also sized, etc. black and white images in Photoshop 7 and imported them into the same document. I saved the entire file as a PDF and burned the file onto a disc. I took the disc to my local service bureau to be proofed and to get an estimate on paper choice, etc. The photos look fine, but the calendar grids and the type in them are totally jaggy. What gives here? Is there a preference setting that allows the files to be pdf'd without compression? They look like jpegs on a billboard. It has been suggested that I create the calendar months in Illustrator. But that's a whole new learning curve for me, and the time crunch is beginning. Any ideas on this? Thanks

I'm not sure if it will help, but you might try the "AppleWorks >Preferences >General" menu item, and check the box "Fractional Character Widths" before saving and PDF-ing to influence AW's smoothing of characters. You might also want to experiment with a different font.

John@was
Thanks John- I'll try it. For now, I've made the entire calendar, month tables and photos in iWork. I delivered the samples today. We'll see how this goes.
Gary Meader

Jaggy Font

Postby Gary Meader » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:29 pm

Yep-turned out to be the font. AW sent it to iWork very jaggy. I then chose Papyrus as a font and all is well.
Gary Meader

Calendar problems

Postby JEG » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:46 am

I'm not sure how you met with success by just changing the font to Papyrus. But if it worked it worked! The calendar templates generated by the "assistant" are subject to the same very well reported/documented printing problems in the latest versions of AW. Those templates are a hybrid of database, drawing, and text elements. And then there's the whole AW printing to PDF issue.

It's too bad the Intel Macs can't run Claris 3 and 4. Those versions had no such problems. And-they could effortlessly traffic in tiff and EPS files.

Forget Bootcamp, I'd rather have a PPC emulator.

Would that Pages ever effortlessly handle all the file formats that AW 3 and 4 did.
JEG

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo