Saving in Pages 09 and old Pages and AppleWorks Documents

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Saving in Pages 09 and old Pages and AppleWorks Documents

Postby horansmo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:02 pm

I have just gotten i Work 09. I needed to make a new volunteer sign up sheet for a meeting and opened the one made last year in Pages 08. I made the few changes needed for the event and hit save. It then said "This document was created using an earlier version of Pages. To maintain the ability to open the document with earlier versions, click Save As and choose an application version." If I put v. 5.0 will it then allow me to open all subsequent versions? Or do I have to look at Get Info for every document I open to find out which one I created it in? When I am doing flyers, newsletters for our group it might be some years before I have to go back and look at an older version and decide to to incorporate something from it in the new document. Or do I save it as Pages 09 and then that retains what I was originally working on? At the moment I have Pages 05, Pages 08 and the new 09. But the time may come when I need more room and have to remove stuff from the computer and old versions might be the first to go.

This brings up the problem of converting old documents. I have things that go back to the original MacWrite that I have faithfully converted from then to MacWrite Pro, ClarisWorks, AppleWorks and now have to decide to convert them to Pages 09. As long as I have a copy of AppleWorks 6.0 I will have a way to get back to the original. I went to Pages 09 because all the information indicated that it would still recognize AppleWorks. I do have some old documents from earlier versions of Appleworks. Do I need to open these in Pages 05 or can I open them directly into Pages 09?
horansmo

Re: Saving in Pages 09 and old Pages and AppleWorks Documents

Postby Barry » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:25 pm

horansmo wrote:I have just gotten i Work 09. I needed to make a new volunteer sign up sheet for a meeting and opened the one made last year in Pages 08. I made the few changes needed for the event and hit save. It then said "This document was created using an earlier version of Pages. To maintain the ability to open the document with earlier versions, click Save As and choose an application version." If I put v. 5.0 will it then allow me to open all subsequent versions? Or do I have to look at Get Info for every document I open to find out which one I created it in?

There was a significant change in Pages file format between Pages '08 and Pages '09. The message means "If you want the ability to open this document using Pages '08, you will need to to save a Pages '08 version." If you don't need to be able to open the document using Pages '08, there's no need to do so.

The question of "put(ting) v. 05" doesn't arise. Pages '09 will save only in its own format, Pages '08 format or MS Word (97 through XP) format. Pages v5.0 doesn't exist as yet as a published application. When it does, it is likely that it will open Pages files from v.4.x.x (the current version) and possibly from earlier versions.

This brings up the problem of converting old documents. I have things that go back to the original MacWrite that I have faithfully converted from then to MacWrite Pro, ClarisWorks, AppleWorks and now have to decide to convert them to Pages 09. As long as I have a copy of AppleWorks 6.0 I will have a way to get back to the original. I went to Pages 09 because all the information indicated that it would still recognize AppleWorks. I do have some old documents from earlier versions of Appleworks. Do I need to open these in Pages 05 or can I open them directly into Pages 09?

Actually, "as long as (you) have AppleWorks 6.x.x" and a computer and operating system that will run AppleWorks 6.x.x you will have a way to get back to the original.

Mac OS X will NOT run AppleWorks 6.0, but OS X (including Snow Leopard, the current version) will run AppleWorks 6.2.4 and AppleWorks 6.2.9. AppleWorks 6.2.x will open files from earlier version of AppleWorks (and some earlier versions of ClarisWorks). AW 6.2.9 does fail to open SOME files from earlier versions. AW 6.2.4 will generally open these.

Pages (any version to date) will open AppleWorks 6.x.x word processing files, but will not open any other type of AW file. The other two iWork applications, Numbers and Keynote, will open AW 6 spreadsheet and presentation files..

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Re: Saving in Pages 09 and old Pages and AppleWorks Documents

Postby horansmo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:36 am

Thanks Barry. That helps a lot. I guess that they cannot put everything in iWork 09: The Missing Manual. But my biggest questions in upgrading have always been about getting what I have previously made translated into the new format so that I do not lose it.Some of it includes poetry that I have written over the past 20 years. I really appreciate having the forums to direct my questions to.
horansmo

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo