Pages Help with Numbered Lists

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Pages Help with Numbered Lists

Postby cowboy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:56 pm

How does one align, in Pages, a list of numbers in a vertical column so that the period after the numbers are lined up. One digit numbers align naturally but two digits numbers don't. For example:

cowboy
cowboy

Re: Pages Help with Numbered Lists

Postby Barry » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:41 am

cowboy wrote:How does one align, in Pages, a list of numbers in a vertical column so that the period after the numbers are lined up. One digit numbers align naturally but two digits numbers don't. For example:

From a limited amount of experimenting tonight, my guess is 'that's the way it is,' at least when using the built in formattng of a list with numbers as bullets.

Should you wish to have that behaviour changed, I'd suggest you Provide Pages Feedback, using the link in the Application menu (in Pages, the "Pages" menu).

As a workaround, though, you could use the same method that worked in AppleWorks.

Set the section that will contain the list to have a right shifted left margin stop and a negative indent on line one of a paragraph, then set a decimal tab one ruler tick before the left margin.

You'll need to number the list items/paragraphs manually, and include a tab character before and after each number.

The second line of aaa results from using shift-return after the first group.
The second line of bbb... results from the line wrapping due to the right margin stop.

Insert a tab by clicking on the ruler. Double click the tab to cycle through the four types of tab stop—left, right, center and decimal.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby cowboy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks Barry for your help. I noticed that in listing that it looks much neater if the decimals are aligned in the numbers. Apple programmers need to implement some way of doing this in the next edition of Pages.

Thanks Again,

cowboy
cowboy

Postby cowboy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:48 pm

Hey Barry,

I found this on a google search about numbered lists. It basically states the same thing that you expounded on to solve the problem using decimal tabs.

http://desktoppub.about.com/od/typespac ... pace_2.htm

cowboy
cowboy

Postby cowboy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:43 pm

I found more information by googling about _decimal alignment of numbered lists_ using microsoft word. Pages needs something like this for alignment of N.L. without resorting to decimal tabs to accomplish this.

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NumberAlignment.htm

cowboy
cowboy

Postby Barry » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:09 pm

cowboy wrote:I found more information by googling about _decimal alignment of numbered lists_ using microsoft word. Pages needs something like this for alignment of N.L. without resorting to decimal tabs to accomplish this.

As I noted earlier"
Should you wish to have that behaviour changed, I'd suggest you Provide Pages Feedback, using the link in the Application menu (in Pages, the "Pages" menu).

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo