Numbers Formatting

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Numbers Formatting

Postby RexinMinn » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:27 am

Numbers is just so full of surprises, not all of them pleasant, I'm finding as I wend my way through the mire.

Here's the latest challenge.

My entire data base uses the font Gill Sans in 14 pt.

I added new data to the spreadsheet and it displayed as a different font.

How do I format a spreadsheet so the same font is displayed consistently?

I've created a few templates and want them to display a certain font, and I've found that unless there's some kind of data in the cells, it won't necessarily use the font I've programmed it to display.

What am I missing here? This seems like such an elementary function, it's hard to believe that Numbers wouldn't allow this type of formatting flexibility.

Any thoughts?

Oh, I am just having so much fun with Numbers..... :?
RexinMinn

Re: Numbers Formatting

Postby Barry » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:20 pm

RexinMinn wrote:Numbers is just so full of surprises, not all of them pleasant, I'm finding as I wend my way through the mire.

Here's the latest challenge.

My entire data base uses the font Gill Sans in 14 pt.

I added new data to the spreadsheet and it displayed as a different font.

By pasting the new data in?

Use Edit > Paste and match style.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby RexinMinn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:20 pm

Yes, I finally figured this out on my own, but it must be done prior to the paste. I found that once the data is pasted, you can't go back, you can only alter the font/size in the standard manner. The problem with using paste>match style is that you don't know it's going to paste in the wrong style. If you did, you could use paste>match style, but the problem is that it happens to one's surprise, something that did not happen with AppleWorks, only in Numbers. Just another little booby-trap Numbers has in store to thwart our progress. But alas, two can play at this game... :twisted:
RexinMinn

Postby Peggy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:35 pm

RexinMinn wrote:Yes, I finally figured this out on my own, but it must be done prior to the paste. I found that once the data is pasted, you can't go back, you can only alter the font/size in the standard manner. The problem with using paste>match style is that you don't know it's going to paste in the wrong style. If you did, you could use paste>match style, but the problem is that it happens to one's surprise, something that did not happen with AppleWorks, only in Numbers. Just another little booby-trap Numbers has in store to thwart our progress. But alas, two can play at this game... :twisted:

Yes, you can go back. The iWork apps have unlimited undo. You can even undo after a save as long as you haven't closed the document. Just undo to the point before you pasted.

I have found this odd pasting behavior to be limited to Numbers spreadsheets that started as AppleWorks spreadsheets. The default Geneva 10 point font that AppleWorks uses "takes over" when new rows are added.

I suggest you leave feedback for the Numbers team regarding this & all your other complaints. You can find it under the Numbers menu > Provide Numbers Feedback. Be polite, give constructive criticism, don't complain.
Peggy

Postby RexinMinn » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 pm

I suggest you leave feedback for the Numbers team regarding this & all your other complaints. You can find it under the Numbers menu > Provide Numbers Feedback. Be polite, give constructive criticism, don't complain.[/quote]

Ouch! That's a rather rigid set of censorship rules. Did you author them yourself or are they written into the by-laws of the AWUG's constitution? But on the bright side, to conform is to be granted the keys to the kingdom of heaven. OK, I will be polite at all times. Yes, I will give constructive criticism at all times. Yes, I will not complain, ever, not on your life, I would never bitch about anything, it's simply not my style, after all there is nothing to complain about, never has been, now or before, nor shall there ever be, and I promise to always fold my hands before eating my supper and say a prayer to the censorship gods, one of whom must be you. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease! :?
RexinMinn

Postby Barry » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:48 am

RexinMinn wrote:
Peggy wrote:I suggest you leave feedback for the Numbers team regarding this & all your other complaints. You can find it under the Numbers menu > Provide Numbers Feedback. Be polite, give constructive criticism, don't complain.

Ouch! That's a rather rigid set of censorship rules.

Hardly "censorship rules," more a suggestion of the tome to adopt when communicating your desires to Apple. Constructive criticism is more likely to produce positive results than is a raging rant. ;-)

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby RexinMinn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Right.
The point, if it wasn't made clear already, is that anyone making the assumption that a person would make such suggestions via a raging rant in the first place. This is simply an ignorant thing to presume, esp. considering that Mac users are usually held in fairly high esteem (at least I did). Being told by a complete stranger to "be polite" is insulting, denegrating and saturated with the pretense that someone thinks they "know better," which of course they do not know better. It goes without saying that a person will be listened to "more often" if they are polite in their approach. When I come to this site I do not expect someone to pretend they are my parent, which is what Peggy was doing when she told me the rules I should play by. This is regrettable among people who are supposed enlightened. They are her rules and I am now less inclined to listen to her because it's obvious she takes some kind of warped pleasure conveying her knowledge in such paternalistic fashion. I don't come here to be preached to, and it is regrettable that someone here would take such an approach. Most unfortunate, such replies do little to encourage people to participate in future discussions, discussions which might lead to a better world for all. Peggy should have checked her attitude at the door, but instead she had to sound like some sort of pseudo-authority, which, even if she is an authority, it's just not nice to tell someone they should be polite, unless they happen to be a child.
RexinMinn

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo