Numbers Spreadsheet Formatting Problem

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Numbers Spreadsheet Formatting Problem

Postby RexinMinn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:42 am

I'm running an up-to-date version of Numbers and am encountering a formatting problem (again).

I'm in file using a multi-column format of whole number values.

I am copying and pasting a short (roughly 20) list of values and pasting them into another column, then averaging the numbers.

When the average comes up, it is not in the prescribed format. It isn't even the same font.

I have selected the original columns (col. B & C) -- those containing the data I'm copying -- and formatted them via the Inspector. I have selected the receiving columns (cols. F & G) -- where I'm pasting the data -- and formatted them via the Inspector in the same way. I want my value for each average to be listed "centered" in the cells and in the Tahoma font. Instead, it's coming up flush-right in Helvetic Neue.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what I might do to correct this problem?

Please feel free to ask any questions off line of this forum at [email protected]

Thanks very much!

Rex Hamann
Andover, MN
RexinMinn

Re: Numbers Spreadsheet Formatting Problem

Postby Barry » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:16 am

RexinMinn wrote:I am copying and pasting a short (roughly 20) list of (whole number) values and pasting them into another column, then averaging the numbers.

When the average comes up, it is not in the prescribed format. It isn't even the same font.

I have selected the original columns (col. B & C) -- those containing the data I'm copying -- and formatted them via the Inspector. I have selected the receiving columns (cols. F & G) -- where I'm pasting the data -- and formatted them via the Inspector in the same way. I want my value for each average to be listed "centered" in the cells and in the Tahoma font. Instead, it's coming up flush-right in Helvetic Neue.

Try this, which is giving me the behaviour you expect:

• Enter the values in columns B and C.
     -With any cell on the table selected (to activate the table and show the column and row reference tabs)...
• Click on the tab for column B to select the entire column. Drag right to add column C to the selection. Release the mouse button.
• Use the pop-up menu in the format bar to select the font (Tahoma).
• Click the Center Text button to horizontally center the numbers in both columns.
• Press command-C to copy both columns (including any cells without data).
• Click on the tab for column F and drag to include column G.
• Paste.
• Click on an empty cell below the data in column F.
• enter: =AVERAGE(F2:F21)   (Revise the cell reference to match the range of data in this column on your table.)
• Drag the Fill control handle one column right to fill the formula into column G.

The data and the two averages in these columns should the same font, size and alignment as the data in columns B and C.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo