Moving Floating Images

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Moving Floating Images

Postby RexinMinn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:22 pm

When I set up a page for publishing, it must be pasted up, in other words, the text and anything accompanying the text is applied to the page in a certain pattern. The problem is that groups of images cannot be copied/pasted in the same pattern as they were when they were originally pasted up on my page.

Images must be floating in order to be placed on the "dummy" page. But items such as a table, a photo, or a graph, cannot be "copied" before "pasting" unless they are inline images. I can't do paste up with the items inline because they cannot be moved/dragged when they are inline.

In my last publication I had several pages containing at least five different images, including text boxes, separation lines, etc. I had to copy and paste each item individually in order to get the same pattern I achieved during paste up. This was a pain.

What I'd like to do is find out how I can move these groups of images and paste, by copying and pasting them in the exact same order they were when first laid out. I could do that in Appleworks, but I cannot do this in Pages unless I'm missing something obvious, but I don't think I am. Any ideas?
RexinMinn

Re: Moving Floating Images

Postby Barry » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:39 am

RexinMinn wrote:The problem is that groups of images cannot be copied/pasted in the same pattern as they were when they were originally pasted up on my page.

Images must be floating in order to be placed on the "dummy" page. But items such as a table, a photo, or a graph, cannot be "copied" before "pasting" unless they are inline images. I can't do paste up with the items inline because they cannot be moved/dragged when they are inline."

I just did a brief test with three objects—a table, a bar chart, and a JPEG image. All were placed (as floating objects) in a Page Layout document, then aligned as I wished them to be in the final document.

With one of the objects selected, I pressed command-A to Select All, then command-C to copy.

In a separate, word processing document, I clicked the Shapes button to insert a line shape, selected it,then clicked the 'Floating' button on the format bar to make it a floating object (and ensure that I was in 'floating' mode), then pressed command-V to Paste.

The three copied objects appeared in the new document showing the same spatial arrangement as in the original.

I then did a further test, Copying the three selected objects from the wp documwent and pasting into a new pl document. As pl docs do not have a text layer, I skipped the step of inserting and making floating a small graphic object.

Results were the same—the three objects pasted as floating objects, and maintained the same arrangement as in the source document.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Copy and Paste Text Boxes within a Text Box

Postby RexinMinn » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:49 am

Barry, or Anyone else with an idea on this topic

I am now working in Pages am trying to perform a simple copy and paste of blocks of text within one text box into a new (blank) document.

Please try one simple test, the goal being to move a text box containing text and two other text boxes, arranged in stacked fashion, to an open page in a separate document.

I cannot for the life of me get the inclusive text box to copy over in the way it appears on the original document. I have 60 of these pages to do and I do NOT to have to lay out each text box over again! There has got to be a way to do this. What am I missing?

If having an image would help, I'm happy to supply one. If you need further details on exactly what I've already tried, I can do that.

Rex Hamann
Andover, MN
RexinMinn

Re: Moving Floating Images

Postby Barry » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:21 pm

"Please try one simple test, the goal being to move a text box containing text and two other text boxes, arranged in stacked fashion, to an open page in a separate document. "

Hi Rex,

'Floating' and 'inline' have been replaced in Pages 5 with 'stay on page' and 'move with text.'

I tried this tonight with three text boxes all set to "stay on page" and arranged with one centered left-to-right at the top margin of the page, then a gap, then two boxes overlapping at a corner, and offset, one to the left, the second down and to the right.

I then opened a new Pages document, inserted a shape using the Shapes button, set the shape to "Stays on page," and dragged it down to a location near the bottom of the page.

Purpose? I wanted to ensure that this Pages document was in "stays on Page" mode before pasting.

I then switched back to the original document, checked that the text box objects were still set to 'Stay on Page,' Selected then, and Copied.

I switched back to the new document, clicked on the shape to ensure that the document was still in 'Stays on Page" mode, and pasted.

The three text boxes were pasted into the new page in precisely the same locations as they had in the original.

On re-reading you post, I rearranged the boxes on the new document, placing one inside the (resized) one it had overlapped before, then repeated the exercise, Selecting the three boxes in the new document, switching to the original, creating a new page using Insert > Page break, clicking on one of the boxes on page 1 to ensure "Stay on Page" mode was active, scrolled to page 2, and Pasted.

The three boxes were laid out as they were when I copied them.

YMMV, of course, but this is what seemed to work for me.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo