A/W Intro window won't appear

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

A/W Intro window won't appear

Postby Buttercup » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:36 pm

The small intro window with the different types of tasks within AW no longer appears. Instead the Starting Points page opens with templates and some documents I've created. Assistants is not available. Since I last used it I've installed the usual OSX updates. Would that have affected AW, please?

I've looked in the A/W folder and assistants is not there either.

OSX 10.5.8 A/W 6.2.9.

Thank you, Buttercup
Buttercup

Re: A/W Intro window won't appear

Postby Peggy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:28 pm

Buttercup wrote:The small intro window with the different types of tasks within AW no longer appears. Instead the Starting Points page opens with templates and some documents I've created. Assistants is not available. Since I last used it I've installed the usual OSX updates. Would that have affected AW, please?

OSX 10.5.8 A/W 6.2.9.

Thank you, Buttercup

Welcome to the AppleWorks User Group forums

My first thought is that you have moved or deleted some of the folders that belong in the AppleWorks 6 folder. This first picture shows the folders that belong in the AppleWorks 6 folder as well as those that belong in the AppleWorks Essentials folder. The second picture shows the contents of the Starting Points folder. Each of those folders will be a tab in the Starting Points window. If they are missing, you may have to reinstall AppleWorks to recover them.

Peggy

Postby Barry » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:25 am

Peggy wrote:
Buttercup wrote:The small intro window with the different types of tasks within AW no longer appears. Instead the Starting Points page opens with templates and some documents I've created. Assistants is not available. Since I last used it I've installed the usual OSX updates. Would that have affected AW, please?

OSX 10.5.8 A/W 6.2.9.

Thank you, Buttercup

Welcome to the AppleWorks User Group forums

My first thought is that you have moved or deleted some of the folders that belong in the AppleWorks 6 folder. This first picture shows the folders that belong in the AppleWorks 6 folder as well as those that belong in the AppleWorks Essentials folder. The second picture shows the contents of the Starting Points folder. Each of those folders will be a tab in the Starting Points window. If they are missing, you may have to reinstall AppleWorks to recover them.

This reply received from Buttercup, who is having difficulty logging in:

Thank you very much Peggy.

1. I never move anything except files I've created. I don't know enough about that.

2. I looked in the Applications folder and the Applescript and Automator folders were there, but not in the A/W folder. I moved them to the A/W folder.

3. The Starting Points folder contains 3 folders, Cache and Disabled, both empty, and Recent Items, which has 18 files that I have created. (All are .cwk). Can I safely trash these and still retain the originals?

4. There are no tabs in the Starting Points window, just a lot of templates and documents I created.

5. A/W User data folder is in Documents, should I move it to the A/W 6 folder?

6. I can't find: Art Director Toolkit 4, ArtRage.app, Backup.app,Appleworks 6.app (exactly like this, have an A/W 6 folder), Appleworks labels, Dictionaries, Equation editor,Palettes, Scripts,Translators.

7. A/W 6 folder now has: Late Breaking news, Automator, A/W Essentials,Clippings, Starting Points, A/W Installer log, Applescript.
Do I have to uninstall the copy I have before reinstalling, or will it just fill in the gaps? I'm not brave enough to do anything that might wipe my HD.

Thanks again, Peggy, for your help.
Buttercup
Barry

Postby Barry » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:28 am

Buttercup wrote:Thank you very much Peggy.

1. I never move anything except files I've created. I don't know enough about that.

2. I looked in the Applications folder and the Applescript and Automator folders were there, but not in the A/W folder. I moved them to the A/W folder.

Neither of those folders should be in the AppleWorks 6 folder. The left column in Peggy's first screen shot shows (part of) the contents of the Applications folder. Move the Applescript folder and the Automator folder back to top level of the Applications folder.

3. The Starting Points folder contains 3 folders, Cache and Disabled, both empty, and Recent Items, which has 18 files that I have created. (All are .cwk). Can I safely trash these and still retain the originals?

AppleWorks maintains Starting Points folders in two locations.
Peggy's second screen shot (below the first) shows the Starting Points folder in the AppleWorks 6 folder. (the full path, Mariners > Applications > AppleWorks 6 > Starting Points..., is shown at the bottom of the finder window in the second screen shot). The contents of this folder (the five folders in the middle column of this Finder window) appear as tabs at the bottom of the Starting Points window which is visible in AppleWorks when you press command-1 or choose Show Starting points in AppleWorks's File menu. Assistants, Templates and Web are standard Starting Points tabs. Backgrounds and Banners appear to be two which Peggy has added herself.
The second Starting Points folder is user specific. It's found at
Mac HD > yourname> Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points.
This Starting Points folder contains the three items you mention above. Recent Items will also appear as a tab on your own Starting Points window. Clicking on the Recent Items tab in your Starting Points window (note: NOT the Finder window containing the Starting Points folder) will cause the names of the items in this folder to show in the Starting Points window.
        The items in the Recent Items folder are aliases to the files they name. These aliases can be deleted without affecting the files themselves.

4. There are no tabs in the Starting Points window, just a lot of templates and documents I created.

This is a Finder window, not the Starting points window. See above.

5. A/W User data folder is in Documents, should I move it to the A/W 6 folder?

No. It's where it should be. Leave it there.

6. I can't find: Art Director Toolkit 4, ArtRage.app, Backup.app,

These are applications that Peggy has purchased and installed in her Applications folder. They won't be in your Applications folder unless you have also purchased them.

Appleworks 6.app, Appleworks labels, Dictionaries, Equation editor,Palettes, Scripts,Translators.

AppleWorks 6.app is the application package, and should be in your AppleWorks 6 folder. The other items in this list should be in the AppleWorks Essentials folder. When AppleWorks Essentials is highlighted (selected), Appleworks labels, Dictionaries, Equation editor,Palettes, Scripts and Translators should appear in the next column to the right in the Finder window.

7. A/W 6 folder now has: Late Breaking news, Automator, A/W Essentials,Clippings, Starting Points, A/W Installer log, Applescript.
Do I have to uninstall the copy I have before reinstalling, or will it just fill in the gaps? I'm not brave enough to do anything that might wipe my HD.

Move Automator and Applescript back to the Applications folder.
The rest of these items should be where they are. (Peggy has removed the outdated Late Breaking News and the AW installer log from her folder, leaving only the essential items.)

Reinstalling Appleworks is seldom necessary, and I don't see much to recommend that step here. Depending on the format of the disk on which your AppleWorks installer is located, there could be some difficulty installing it without affecting System software.

Regards,
Barry

PS: If you have difficulty logging in, you should still be able to post as a guest.
B
Barry

Postby Buttercup » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:21 pm

Thank you, Peggy and Barry for your very detailed, helpful responses. I apologize for not thanking your earlier but thought I had. I must have forgotten to submit it. Kind regards, Jenny :oops:
Buttercup

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo