Changing between two fonts

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Changing between two fonts

Postby Frank Gomes » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:02 pm

I tried following Barry's suggestion on how to get a most used font to the top of the list but it will not work for me. As soon as I start typing to get Times to the top, the font list quits. I have tried several times with the same result. Am I doing something wrong? Why wont this method work for me. Scrolling to Times, the font I use most, is very time consuming and seems slower in Snow Leopard than it did in Leopard.

Frank
Frank Gomes

Re: Changing between two fonts

Postby michael.ocallaghan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:10 am

Good morning Frank from Ireland.
Open a new document and click on the font box on the top of the document.
It will then expand to show the fonts available.
SHIFT click (or COMMAND Click) on the letter T
You will then have highlighted the first font in the list starting with T.
Scroll down to TIMES.
Since you use TIMES frequently, you could designate TIMES as your default font in Appleworks and avoid all the keyboard work.
Mike
michael.ocallaghan

Postby Frank Gomes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks for responding... and all the way from Ireland, WOW! I live in Florida on the east coast, having retired here from Massachusetts seven years ago.

Everything I do in AW is in the drawing module. My background is graphics, having spent over thirty-three years in the graphics profession. Given that, every document I create, whether text or graphics, I do in the drawing module. Being honest, I hate word processing... I find it too restricting. Times is my default font. However, because I do my community monthly newsletter, when people send me articles to be included, they rarely use Times. This is where I have my problem. When I copy and paste, I then have to scroll down to Times to convert their text. This is why I would like to have Times at the top of my font list. The methods suggested have not worked. Of course, it could be that I'm not overly savvy when it comes to computers. Because of that, I'm not quite sure when you say SHIFT click on the letter T, I'm not sure what letter T you are referring to. Sorry to be such a dummy.

By the way, upgrading to Snow Leopard from Leopard has made AW very unstable. I find
I have to restart my iMac many times because if I want to resize something. Scrolling to "Scale by Percent," I get blank boxes. When I put the percentage in each box, nothing happens. Restarting will restore the correct sizing window.

I really do appreciate the help. Thank you very much.

Frank
Frank Gomes

Postby Barry » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Frank Gomes wrote:By the way, upgrading to Snow Leopard from Leopard has made AW very unstable. I find I have to restart my iMac many times because if I want to resize something. Scrolling to "Scale by Percent," I get blank boxes. When I put the percentage in each box, nothing happens. Restarting will restore the correct sizing window.

Hi Frank,

After upgrading the OS (or doing any major install) there are two things you should do, one for the OS, the other for AppleWorks.

1. Repair Permissions. Launch Disk Utility. Pretty much self explanatory after that.

2. Delete AppleWorks's Preferences files.
Quit AppleWorks. In the Finder, go to yourname > Library > Preferences
Locate and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist
Still in the Preferences folder, locate and open the folder AppleWorks.
In the AppleWorks folder, select and delete the two preferences files and the two cache files. Button Bar is also a preferences file, but is not usually responsible for any issues that don't directly affect the Button Bar. If you've made changes to the Button Bar, leave it.

Step 2 should be taken anytime AW crashes, as a crash often corrupts the preferences files.

AW quitting on typing a letter in an open menu could be a symptom of the Recent Items bug, especially if you've also noticed a recent slowdown in AW.

In the Finder go to yourname > Documents > AppleWorks User Documents > Starting Points > Recent Items.
Select and delete most or all of the items in this folder. The items are aliases to the original files, as indicated by the curved arrow at the bottom left corner of the icon. Deleting the aliases has no effect on the originals.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby Frank Gomes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your reply to my last paragraph. I had done all the items you suggested but had not done the Repair Permissions. I have just completed doing that, so we'll see how AW behaves in the future. As a rule, every so often I delete all the aliases I have created so as to keep AW working as fast as it can for an early 2006 iMac.

Thank you, you folks at AWUG are great.

Frank
Frank Gomes

Postby michael.ocallaghan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:49 pm

Good evening again Frank.
Despite having been to America many times, I have never become used to the difference between English as used here and English as used in the States!
The Shift key is the one used to select the Upper Case or Capital version of a letter. (t or T).
You are correct, you cannot select the font as I suggested in the drawing module of Appleworks.
However by inserting the text into a document, making any changes and then inserting it into the drawing document it will retain the modifications you desire.
Alas it does mean more work.
Regards to all in FLA!
michael.ocallaghan

Postby Barry » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:54 am

michael.ocallaghan wrote:Good evening again Frank.
Despite having been to America many times, I have never become used to the difference between English as used here and English as used in the States!
The Shift key is the one used to select the Upper Case or Capital version of a letter. (t or T).
You are correct, you cannot select the font as I suggested in the drawing module of Appleworks.
However by inserting the text into a document, making any changes and then inserting it into the drawing document it will retain the modifications you desire.
Alas it does mean more work.
Regards to all in FLA!

Top o' the morning to you Michael,

When Frank wrote
Because of that, I'm not quite sure when you say SHIFT click on the letter T, I'm not sure what letter T you are referring to. Sorry to be such a dummy.

I don't think it was the Shift key reference that mystified him, but where to find the "letter T" on which to click. I have to admit it mystified me as well.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo