Error Messages

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Error Messages

Postby pappy1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:45 pm

I am using AW6 with OS 10.6. I created a document, referred to it frequently w/o any problem. Now when I try to open it I get a message "an unexpected error occurred #-1700".
I have no problem with other AW docs. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks

Saul :(
pappy1

Re: Error Messages

Postby pappy1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Further to my problem with opening that specific doc in AW6. I got info on the doc and selected Pages as the opening app. It worked!I
There are some nice features in Bento and iWork, howver why they did completely abandon AW?

Saul :D
pappy1

Re: Error Messages

Postby Barry » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:18 pm

pappy1 wrote:I am using AW6 with OS 10.6. I created a document, referred to it frequently w/o any problem. Now when I try to open it I get a message "an unexpected error occurred #-1700".
Saul :(

From messages I've seen elsewhere, Saul, I'm betting that the problem documents had "#" or other special characters in the filenames.
Rename the files without those characters, and they should open in AW without issue.

Regarding the question of why Apple discontinued AW, I think the main reason was that it was originally written as a Mac OS 6 application, and was ported to OS X using Carbon. A great deal of effort went into reducing the size of the original version, both in terms of storage space and operating memory requirements, and this required coding that was less than straightforward—read 'difficult to update'. Apple probably looked at it and decided that creating a 'successor', built from the ground up made more sense than a major restructuring of the AW coding.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo