Can't trash AW preferences

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Can't trash AW preferences

Postby Buttercup » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:57 am

Hello

I have been trying to trash the preferences file for appleworks but the file does not exist in the library. Nor does an AW folder. I have read the instructions elsewhere on this forum for doing so but can't proceed because I can't find it. Spotlight can't locate it either. Your help is appreciated.

Jenny
Buttercup

Re: Can't trash AW preferences

Postby Peggy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:47 am

Which Library are you looking in? The preferences are in each user's home library.

Peggy

Postby Buttercup » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Hi Peggy,thanks for responding.

Found and trashed A/W Preferences & Button Bars. Should I keep or trash A/W 6 Translators cache and A/W 6 Assistants cache?

In Documents there is a folder called A/W Users data. It contains Starting Points, Autosave and Clippings. Should they be somewhere else? Clippings and Starting Points are already in the A/W Folder along with AW6 (little icon of pages and pencil), Late breaking news, AW Essentials, AW 6 Installer log, Applescript & Automator.

A/W SS has been behaving badly, renaming files, not letting me change the file names back to what they should be. Moving them and making them difficult to find as their names have been changed. Ironically, it's printing to my HP printer without any issues.

There are 202 other files in Prefs. Can I safely trash anything I don't recognize as something I use as I don't customize anything? I do make and save templates but they shouldn't be affected, should they?

Thanks again for your help, Peggy. It's much appreciated. Jenny :D
Buttercup

Postby Buttercup » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi again Peggy. Not really an A/W question but the screen shot was very helpful. I captured a screen shot to show you the AW User Data folder contents but beyond getting it to my desktop I couldn't figure out how to paste it into the post. Is that something you can respond to here or should I post elsewhere for a step by step?

Thanks, Jenny
Buttercup

Postby Buttercup » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:00 pm

[quote="Buttercup"]Hi Peggy,thanks for responding.

Found and trashed A/W Preferences & Button Bars. Should I keep or trash A/W 6 Translators cache and A/W 6 Assistants cache?

Found a reference to these in the SS topic and have trashed them. Jenny
Buttercup

Postby Buttercup » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:09 pm

[quote="Buttercup"]Hi Peggy,thanks for responding.

A/W SS has been behaving badly, renaming files, not letting me change the file names back to what they should be. Moving them and making them difficult to find as their names have been changed. Ironically, it's printing to my HP printer without any issues.

Thanks to another thread I see I may have been giving them names that are too long.....getting garbled SS labels........Thanks to those who post solutions. Jenny
Buttercup

Postby Buttercup » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:38 pm

Just re-read an old thread with help by Peggy and Barry (A/W Intro window won't appear) and note the previous advice to move Automator and Applescripts from the AW folder to the top level of the Applications window. I have done this again. Hope it will stay! Thanks again, Jenny
Buttercup

Postby Peggy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:07 am

You definitely need to move the translator & assistant caches to the Trash at the same time you delete the AppleWorks Preferences & the com.apple.appleworks.plist. You do not need to delete the Button Bar Preferences, especially if you have customized the Button Bars.

The "previous advice" was NOT to move Automator and Applescripts from the Applications folder. Barry had commented that I had moved it from my Applications folder solely for the purposes of illustration in creating my screenshot.

Deleting the AppleWorks User Data folder from your Documents folder is fine unless you've saved some clippings (unlikely).

Pasting pictures/screen shots in this forum is not easily explained.
Peggy

Postby Buttercup » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:55 pm

Buttercup wrote:Just re-read an old thread with help by Peggy and Barry (A/W Intro window won't appear) and note the previous advice to move Automator and Applescripts from the AW folder to the top level of the Applications window. I have done this again. Hope it will stay! Thanks again, Jenny

Peggy , see my post above. Automator and Applescripts from A/W TO the top level of the apps folder. ( not from the Apps. folder)

I'll check a Mac forum for posts about screen shots.

Thanks for all your input. Much appreciated. I'll be trying A/W out this morning and will report back. Jenny_
Buttercup

Postby Peggy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:34 pm

It's not making the screenshots that's tricky, it's finding a place to host the pictures & then creating the code to paste into these posts. You might try a site like PhotoBucket or Flicker to host your pictures. I believe they will generate the code for you to paste (you want the code for php forums).

I don't use those sites, I have my screenshots on my iDisk. Sites like PhotoBucket delete pictures after I time. I use many of the same screenshots over & over & over, so that would be a problem for me.
Peggy

Postby Buttercup » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Thanks, Peggy. Sounds way over my head. I was hoping there was a simple select , copy , put it in Iphoto and copy and paste as needed! Duh! Jenny
Buttercup

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo