How to stop Clippings searching

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

How to stop Clippings searching

Postby ratio » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:26 am

Everytime I open AW6 the clippings start searching the web. This never used to happen and I can find no way to turn them off. The 'search web content' tick box also reverts to a tick if I untick it. I do use clippinbgs a lot but don't want the auto search.
ratio

Re: How to stop Clippings searching

Postby Peggy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:38 pm

Sounds like corrupt AppleWorks preferences. First, make sure Starting Points is not set to web or clippings (I don't have AppleWorks open right now to double-check the exact settings), then quit AppleWorks. Now, to delete AppleWorks’ preference files, go to HD > Users > (your account) > Library > Preferences. Find and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist. Find and open the folder AppleWorks in this Preferences folder, then delete all of the enclosed files (with the exception of the Button Bar Preferences if you have customized the Button Bars). AppleWorks will recreate the preference files as it needs them.
Peggy

Postby ratio » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Yes that's fixed it - many thanks
ratio

Postby Barry » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:27 am

ratio wrote:Yes that's fixed it - many thanks

The web clippings server has been down for an extended period, and may have been taken permanently offline. I've been checking it occasionally over the past couple of weeks since this came to my attention. Tonight there was no visible response within a minute from the server that redirects seach requests to the servers where the files had been held.

In addition, when I clicked on the Web tab in starting points tonight, there was no visible response at all. Normally (ie. earlier) I would expect to see three small windows open to report the application was trying to connect with servers.

Looks like time for AppleWorks users to check for other sources of clip art.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Clippings won't run

Postby ratio » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:47 am

Well that was successful but the problem now is, having followed this advice, clippings
won't run at all. The 'search web' box is checked and I deleted preferences but all to no avail.
ratio

Postby ratio » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:53 am

I missed the comment about clippings being out of action.

This is a kind of disaster as I am a lecturer and instead of 'death by powerpoint' as its known
by students, I make simple pdfs with a minimum of text and a little picture from clippings.
Its fast, efficient and far more pleasant and interactive than a mass of grey text which is typical of ppt. I just don't have time to faff around looking for clip art, it may sound easy but its time consuming and time is of the essence in my job. Apple Education please note.
ratio

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo