AW glitch with SnowLeopard: ideas?

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

AW glitch with SnowLeopard: ideas?

Postby jeffhcarter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:51 am

I just moved from using a PPC Mac G5 running Tiger 10.4.11 to SnowLeopard 10.6.4 on an iMac Intel i3. used Migration Assistant to move everything over. Appleworks now has odd hesitation/hang: when you open a document, click a point to insert text, and start typing, it takes about 10 seconds before it starts accepting text, skipping the thus far typed in text; or if you select a block of text, won't select it for 10 seconds. More errors of that sort....
In searching the forums, found suggestions for repairing permissions, did that, deleting preferences files and plists, did that, still problem.
I understand from forums that others are using Appleworks on Snow Leopard with no problem, but I'm stuck...any ideas? thanks
jeffhcarter

Re: AW glitch with SnowLeopard: ideas?

Postby Peggy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:27 am

As OS X is updated/upgraded AppleWorks develops more & more oddities. As I've said before, there comes a time when a choice has to be made - update your Mac or keep a Mac with an older version of OS X to use with AppleWorks or find newer solutions. Unfortunately, there isn't a single newer solution & mixing & matching can be expensive & it doesn't work as well as AppleWorks.

But, since you used Migration Assistant to set up your new Mac, it would have moved your AppleWorks preferences. The only preference that can be safely moved is the Button Bar Preferences so you need to delete the others. To delete AppleWorks’ preference files, go to HD > Users > Library > Preferences. Find and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist. Find and open the folder AppleWorks in this Preferences folder, then delete all of the enclosed files (with the exception of the Button Bar Preferences if you have customized the Button Bars). AppleWorks will recreate the preference files as it needs them.
Peggy

Re: AW glitch with SnowLeopard: ideas?

Postby jeffhcarter » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:38 am

thanks for the comment Peggy,
I did the "delete preferences" thing, still have same problem
jeff
jeffhcarter

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo