Installing AW on a new IMac

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Installing AW on a new IMac

Postby debeals » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:13 pm

I just started using a new iMac (21.5") with Snow Leopard. My Appleworks program is on my old iMac (Tiger) and came on the install disk. How can I get AW over to the new iMac? Any help would be appreciated.
debeals

Re: Installing AW on a new IMac

Postby Barry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:18 am

debeals wrote:I just started using a new iMac (21.5") with Snow Leopard. My Appleworks program is on my old iMac (Tiger) and came on the install disk. How can I get AW over to the new iMac? Any help would be appreciated.

The easiest way to get it over is to go to the Applications folder on the old machine, burn a copy of the AppleWorks folder (including contents) to a CD, pop the CD into your new machine and copy the folder to the Applications folder on your new machine.
AppleWorks will generate any other files it needs as it needs them.
Store the CD away in case you need to repeat the exercise in the future.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby debeals » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:26 pm

Thanks Barry,
Following your advice, AW ( My most used program for years) is now running on my new computer. I didn't realize that it would be so simple. I was thinking that I would have to have an original install disc. I have iWorks on the new machine and Bento. I can use Pages and Numbers ok but Bento is sure lacking as a data base. So now just continue to use AW. At least I can print labels with it.
Regards, Duane
debeals

Postby Quartermoon » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:16 pm

Hello!

I, too, have just begun using my new intel Mac, and have a lot of old Applework files. I used Migration Assistant to bring everything across to my new Mac, and then, as recommended here and elsewhere, I said YES to the install of Rosetta when I first tried to open Appleworks.

BUT. Appleworks will not open. All it does is bounce a few times in the dock.

I tried installing Rosetta again from the OS X Install disc, but Appleworks still will not open.
I tried deleting Appleworks preferences. Nothing.

Has this been a problem for anyone else? Any suggestions???
Quartermoon

Postby Peggy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:19 pm

You need to make sure you delete all of the AppleWorks preferences. To delete AppleWorks’ preference files, go to HD > Users > (your account) > Library > Preferences. Find and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist. Find and open the folder AppleWorks in this Preferences folder, then delete all of the enclosed files (with the exception of the Button Bar Preferences if you have customized the Button Bars). AppleWorks will recreate the preference files as it needs them. You should also do this every time AppleWorks crashes as each crash will cause some corruption of the preferences.

Then you also need to use Disk Utility to repair permissions.
Peggy

Postby djkowall » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:50 am

Barry, the CD drive on my still beautiful 2002 Snowball iMac does not work so I can't burn a copy of AW to put on the new Intel iMac with Snow Leopard that I'll be bringing home soon. Can I just use the Migration Assistant to move the entire AW program?

Sorry if this is the upteenth time you've had to answer this. :oops:
djkowall

Postby Peggy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:53 am

You can use a USB flash drive for the transfer & then burn the folder to a CD on the new Mac. Don't delete AppleWorks from the old Mac until you are sure it is working on the new one.
Peggy

Postby Barry » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:25 am

djkowall wrote:Barry, the CD drive on my still beautiful 2002 Snowball iMac does not work so I can't burn a copy of AW to put on the new Intel iMac with Snow Leopard that I'll be bringing home soon. Can I just use the Migration Assistant to move the entire AW program?

Sorry if this is the umpteenth time you've had to answer this. :oops:

I would avoid using Migration Assistant to move AppleWorks. You want only the AppleWorks 6 folder (in applications) and its contents. AppleWorks will create new copies of files it needs that are currently stored outside this folder.

Note also that AppleWorks has exhibited some quirkiness in Snow Leopard. Can't provide details as I haven't installed SL to date.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby djkowall » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:29 am

Many thanks to Peggy and Barry. I'm going to try the flash drive method.

I'll probably finish out 2010 on the older iMac with AW and give the iWorks program a chance on the new machine (many spreadsheet templates to create in order to start the new year). If I'm successful (getting old and stupid here) I wont bother to move the complete AW program, just see if Roseta can convert the one or two single sheet spreadsheets I use (most are more than 20 pages) to iWorks Numbers with decent results.

Again, many thanks to both of you !
djkowall

Postby Barry » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:03 am

djkowall wrote:Many thanks to Peggy and Barry. I'm going to try the flash drive method.

I'll probably finish out 2010 on the older iMac with AW and give the iWorks program a chance on the new machine (many spreadsheet templates to create in order to start the new year). If I'm successful (getting old and stupid here) I wont bother to move the complete AW program, just see if Roseta can convert the one or two single sheet spreadsheets I use (most are more than 20 pages) to iWorks Numbers with decent results.

Rosetta has nothing to do with converting files. It's function is to provide an environment in which applications written for Mac OS 9 and earlier, and ported to OS X (using Carbon rather than being completely rewritten) are able to run.

The three applications in the iWork (no 's') suite, Numbers, Pages, and Keynote, were all originally written for Mac OS X, and do not require Rosetta.

Numbers can convert AppleWorks 6 spreadsheets to numbers documents, Pages can do the same for AppleWorks 6 word processing documents, and Keynote can open and convert AppleWorks 6 presentation documents.

There are some third party applications that can open/convert AppleWorks Draw documents, and (I think) AppleWorks paint documents. Only AppleWorks itself is able to open AppleWorks data base documents, which is the main reason i still have AW on my iBook.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby djkowall » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:41 pm

I had a brain freeze and forgot to send my thanks to Barry and Peggy for all the help.

AW 6.2.9 is working so great on the new iMac that iWork may remain uninstalled forever! :D
djkowall

Postby Peggy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Don't give up on iWork! There are a lot of things that the iWork apps do much better than AppleWorks. Both AppleWorks & iWork live very nicely on my Macs.
Peggy

Postby Barry » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:08 am

Peggy wrote:Don't give up on iWork! There are a lot of things that the iWork apps do much better than AppleWorks. Both AppleWorks & iWork live very nicely on my Macs.

However, if AW is working well for you, I'd hold off for awhile on iWork. The suite is due for an update/upgrade.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby djkowall » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:45 pm

Good advice, as usual. Happy New Year To All !
djkowall

Postby Geert » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Peggy and Barry,
I notice that you insist on transferring AppleWorks from an old to a new machine by burning the AppleWorks folder on a CD and then copying it from the CD to the new Mac.
I transferred Appleworks to my new MacBook using an ethernet connection. Would this make a difference?

Kind Regards,
Geert.
Geert

Next

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo