Appleworks just stopped working...

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks just stopped working...

Postby Tom Kirkman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:20 am

As of this morning, my Appleworks 6.2.9 running on an OSX 10.6.8 iMac will no longer work.

It crashes upon opening. I trashed it and attempted to reinstall the program from the CD. The installer crashes each time I attempt to open it.

I performed a "repair disk permissions" on the mac and then attempted to run the installer again. Same thing - the installed crashes upon each attempt to open it.

Nothing has been changed, added or deleted from the computer in over a year. Any idea why Appleworks suddenly gave up the ghost? Thanks.
Tom Kirkman

Re: Appleworks just stopped working...

Postby Peggy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:24 pm

When an application stops working as it should, it's likely due to corrupt preferences. You can use the reset function of Dale Gillard's Sidekick. If you still have problems, please post back & we'll see what else might help.
Peggy

Re: Appleworks just stopped working...

Postby Barry » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:14 am

Several possibilities besides the one mentioned by Peggy.

Your Recent Items folder may contain too many items. Usually this means AppleWorks will slow significantly, but in extreme cases, it may stall completely or even quit unexpectedly.

Go to username > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points > Recent Items. Delete all or most of the items in that folder. These items are aliases to the files of the same names. Deleting the aliases has no effect on the files themselves.

If the crash occurs when you start typing, the cause is usually having chosen a Unicode Keyboard Layout. AppleWorks will work only with the earlier Roman layouts.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo