Missing Font Palette

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Missing Font Palette

Postby agyth » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:03 am

In Pages, I have "lost" most of the font panel. The Tool Bar has gone, the window shows only the name of a highlighted font, and the bottom row shows a panel which I can use to scroll through and select a font. Ironically, the regular Font panel is in Keynote which I rarely use. I have tried re-installing the application - with no joy. Help anyone?

Agyth
agyth

Re: Missing Font Palette

Postby agyth » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:24 am

agyth wrote:In Pages, I have "lost" most of the font panel. The Tool Bar has gone, the window shows only the name of a highlighted font, and the bottom row shows a panel which I can use to scroll through and select a font. Ironically, the regular Font panel is in Keynote which I rarely use. I have tried re-installing the application - with no joy. Help anyone?

Agyth
Hurrah! I tried reinstallation again after using Spotlight to find and clear out every bit of the existing iWork (a bit stressful especially because 'pages' brings to light all sorts of non-iWork stuff). Lo and behold the Font panel is back again. The previous one must have got corrupted.
agyth

Re: Missing Font Palette

Postby Dale » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:31 pm

agyth wrote:
agyth wrote:In Pages, I have "lost" most of the font panel. The Tool Bar has gone, the window shows only the name of a highlighted font, and the bottom row shows a panel which I can use to scroll through and select a font. Ironically, the regular Font panel is in Keynote which I rarely use. I have tried re-installing the application - with no joy. Help anyone?

Agyth
Hurrah! I tried reinstallation again after using Spotlight to find and clear out every bit of the existing iWork (a bit stressful especially because 'pages' brings to light all sorts of non-iWork stuff). Lo and behold the Font panel is back again. The previous one must have got corrupted.

I don't think you needed to reinstall iWork to fix this problem.

From what you described, you had only resized the Font Panel to its minimum size. All you needed to do was click on the bottom right corner and drag it to be a greater size and the toolbar, etc would have come back.

You can try this with Pages now. Just drag the right bottom corner of the Font Panel to make it about 2 lines high and about 1 - 2 inches in width. The Font Panel will then contain 3 popup menus: Family, Typeface and Size. But if you resize the Font Panel again to its original size its contents will revert to normal.

Dale
Dale

missing Font Palette

Postby agyth » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:43 pm

Thanks for that, Dale. You may well be right but I did actually try hard to enlarge or make smaller the Font window and it just wouldn't pay any attention to my efforts. I was always stuck with a Font-named window with an area of about 5" by 2" which was totally blank except for the highlighted name and size of a font at the bottom of the blank area (actually looking rather as it would if you could add all the the rest of that column and of the other columns).
I see what you mean about the effect of almost closing the window with the bottom right corner bit. What I had was exactly this with the rather notable addition of the nearly empty pane between the top and bottom rows. I hope it doesn't happen again but I'll take a screen shot or two if it does!
agyth

Re: missing Font Palette

Postby Dale » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:53 am

agyth wrote:Thanks for that, Dale. You may well be right but I did actually try hard to enlarge or make smaller the Font window and it just wouldn't pay any attention to my efforts. I was always stuck with a Font-named window with an area of about 5" by 2" which was totally blank except for the highlighted name and size of a font at the bottom of the blank area (actually looking rather as it would if you could add all the the rest of that column and of the other columns).
I see what you mean about the effect of almost closing the window with the bottom right corner bit. What I had was exactly this with the rather notable addition of the nearly empty pane between the top and bottom rows. I hope it doesn't happen again but I'll take a screen shot or two if it does!

If it does happen again you only need to delete the relevant preference file for the Font Panel in Pages and it would reset it.

Dale
Dale

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo