Making CD labels

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Making CD labels

Postby Michele » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:51 am

Has anyone made CD labels in AW? If so, is there a template and whay type/size label set should I buy?
Michele

Re: Making CD labels

Postby Peggy » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:08 pm

Michele wrote:Has anyone made CD labels in AW? If so, is there a template and whay type/size label set should I buy?

Try www.neato.com > Software & Downloads > Mac/PC Templates > ClarisWorks/AppleWorks. Several different companies make CD/DVD labels, 2 to a sheet, that you can buy at any office supply store.
Peggy

CD Templates

Postby Gigmeister » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:07 pm

I wonder the same question. Neato does not make templates for AW- it shouldn't be that difficult to do.
Gigmeister

Re: CD Templates

Postby Peggy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:11 pm

Gigmeister wrote:I wonder the same question. Neato does not make templates for AW- it shouldn't be that difficult to do.

Neato, used to have templates for AppleWorks. You'll notice my previous post in this thread was last year. I just happen to have them. If you'd like I can e-mail them to you. You can get my e-mail address by clicking my name next to this post. Please give the e-mail a subject of "Neato templates." The zipped file is 1.8 MB.
Peggy

Re: CD Templates

Postby Barry » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:31 pm

Gigmeister wrote:I wonder the same question. Neato does not make templates for AW- it shouldn't be that difficult to do.

NEATO doesn't currently list any AW/CW templates on their website, but did provide some at one time. I haven't seen the CD Label stock sheets, but if they contain two labels, and if the centers are aligned vertically, it should be fairly simple to set up a Draw document (or a Label Layout in the database).

You'll need to carefully measure:

Top of sheet to top of first label (Top Margin)
Left of sheet to left edge of top label (Left Margin)
Left edge to Right edge of top label (Width)
Top edge of top label to Top edge of bottom label (Height)
(Note that the height is from Top to Top edges of the two labels on a sheet when this is used for a DB layout.)

For a DRAW layout, use the following instructions.

Open a new Draw document. Set the Top and Left margin using the measurements you made above.

Draw Two circles on the layout, one whose diameter is 1/4" larger than the label, the other 1/4" smaller than the spindle hole in the center of the label.
Select both circles, Press shift-command-K, and choose Align centers from both the top to bottom and left to right columns. Click OK
Press command-G to Group the now-aligned circles, then drag them to the top left corner of the layout.

Print a test copy on plain paper, compare the paper with a piece of label stock, and adjust the Document margins (or nudge the grouped circles using the arrow keys) until they are centered on the label space.

Once you have these guide circles printing in the correct location, Select the circles, then press command-H to lock their position.SAVE the document.

You can now place place graphics and text (using text frames) onto the layout. Save the document again. If you're always going to print a single label, print now, then you're done. When you need the next label, replace the text and print.

If you (now or ever) want to print two labels at the same time, press command-A to Select all (after filling the frst label), then command-V (Paste). With the Pasted elements still selected, use the Arrow keys to move them to the correct position for the second label (further test prints may be necessary), and Save As using a different name. (This gives you two masters--one for a single label, one for two labels.)

Edit the information on the second label, then Print.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo