Data bases

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Data bases

Postby Bruce Bosworth » Thu May 19, 2005 9:48 am

Databases produced in Clarisworks 4 (used up until upgrading) have converted to AW6 with no problems. My business names and addresses d'bases contain many fields of which 10 fields are used in "Labels Layout". They work fine when printed. When producing a new d'base in AW6, the standard layout is fine and is the same as that in CW4. However, when creating a new custom "Lables Layout", 8 lines (fields) is the maximum to be reproduced on the layout. This is despite ten fields being moved from the "field list" to "field order" in the "Set Field Order" dialogue box. The Avery Labels only give options of up to 6 lines.

How can I create a labels layout with 10 lines (fields)?
Bruce Bosworth

Re: Data bases

Postby Barry » Thu May 19, 2005 11:25 am

Bruce Bosworth wrote:Databases produced in Clarisworks 4 (used up until upgrading) have converted to AW6 with no problems. My business names and addresses d'bases contain many fields of which 10 fields are used in "Labels Layout". They work fine when printed. When producing a new d'base in AW6, the standard layout is fine and is the same as that in CW4. However, when creating a new custom "Lables Layout", 8 lines (fields) is the maximum to be reproduced on the layout. This is despite ten fields being moved from the "field list" to "field order" in the "Set Field Order" dialogue box. The Avery Labels only give options of up to 6 lines.

Which do you want, 10 lines or 10 fields? Which Avery label are you using? Avery labels come in a variety of sizes ranging from 1/2" tall to a full page (11") tall, and possibly beyond in both directions.

The label descriptions themselves do not have any limitation on the number of lines (nor on any of the content) content of the label. They simply list the dimensions necessary to place the labels correctly on the Avery page (or any other page with the same size and layout of labels).

I suspect you are using the Labels Assistant to define the contents of each line, and that the LA is what is preventing you from creating more than 8 (or 6) lines in the cases you describe. Instead of choosing Layout > New Labels Layout..., which launches the Labels Assistant, do as you did in ClarisWorks--choose Layout > New Layout..., then choose Labels in the New Layout dialogue.

When I tried this, using Avery 5161, a 1" high label that comes 20 to a page, AW 6 placed nine fields. The last selected field was placed off the page, the second last was not placed, and the stack ran past the Body boundary of the layout. Re-opening the Insert Field dialogue showed none of the 10 fields in my sample DB available. I suspect AW had decided there was no more room on the layout, as moving the already inserted field frames into the empty space below the Body boundary resulted in all 10 appearing in the list when the Insert Field dialogue was again opened.

I deleted all the fields from the label, then dragged the bottom boundary down the page about 3", then went Layout > Insert Field..., moved the 10 fields to the Insert window, and clicked Insert. All 10 (and their labels, to my surprise--apparently Insert fields isn't aware that this is a Label Layout) were moved to the layout. I selected and deleted the text frames holding the field labels, then selected and resized the Field frames to fit the vertical height of a single label. The remaining steps were to move the 10 fields (as a group) onto the space the label will occupy, and to return the Body boundary to its original location. (This last step may take some testing and tweaking.)

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Re: Data bases

Postby haumann » Thu May 19, 2005 12:24 pm

Bruce Bosworth wrote:Databases produced in Clarisworks 4 (used up until upgrading) have converted to AW6 with no problems. My business names and addresses d'bases contain many fields of which 10 fields are used in "Labels Layout". They work fine when printed. When producing a new d'base in AW6, the standard layout is fine and is the same as that in CW4. However, when creating a new custom "Lables Layout", 8 lines (fields) is the maximum to be reproduced on the layout. This is despite ten fields being moved from the "field list" to "field order" in the "Set Field Order" dialogue box. The Avery Labels only give options of up to 6 lines.

I'm going to go out on a limb here (since I no longer have CW4 installed anywhere), but I don't think anything but the interface has changed. CW5 behaves exactly as you have described above.

The New Label Layout... menu item invokes the "Create Label" assistant, which allows the insertion of a maximum of 6 lines (but you can display as many as four fields in each line) -- same as always, as far as I can tell.

The New Layout... >Labels >Custom menu item lets you add more lines, but it will only set up the first eight for you (and only one field per line). There's no reason you can't amend the layout once it's started for you by inserting additional fields, deleting the field title, and resizing and repositioning the newly-inserted field. It's my hunch that this is how your database layout was originally constructed in CW4.

Another alternative, since you apparently already have a 10-line layout, is to duplicate it. Then edit the duplicate by appropriately deleting and adding the fields you want contained in the new layout.

John@was
haumann

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo