Appleworks will not open

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks will not open

Postby [email protected] » Mon May 30, 2005 11:40 am

Hi there. I'm having trouble opening AW. In fact it won't open at all. I was using the internet the other day and got a pop-up from Apple asking me if I wanted to download an update for OS X (10.3.9 on a 933 MHz iBook G4). I downloaded this, and an update which was something to do with the battery. Since then, AW has refused to open. It gets to the stage where the white boxes appear on the screen for the toolbars, but after that, all I get is the colourful spinning wheel. I've tried the Apple website, and downloaded the AW 6.2.9 update as I thought that not having this might make the software incompatible with the OS update, but this will not install either, and I get a dialogue box telling me that Appleworks does not exist! I have tried running my 4 software restore disks twice, and have also e-mailed Apple, but both have proved unsuccessful. I am getting to the stage where I fear I may have to wipe everything off my hard drive and start again. If anyone has any idea of how I can avoid doing this, please do let me know. I am an author who has no access to any of his electronically stored writing, and am getting rather tense! Any suggestions gratefully received.

Robin Shelton ([email protected])
[email protected]

Re: Appleworks will not open

Postby Peggy » Mon May 30, 2005 7:34 pm

[email protected] wrote:Hi there. I'm having trouble opening AW. In fact it won't open at all. I was using the internet the other day and got a pop-up from Apple asking me if I wanted to download an update for OS X (10.3.9 on a 933 MHz iBook G4). I downloaded this, and an update which was something to do with the battery. Since then, AW has refused to open. It gets to the stage where the white boxes appear on the screen for the toolbars, but after that, all I get is the colourful spinning wheel. I've tried the Apple website, and downloaded the AW 6.2.9 update as I thought that not having this might make the software incompatible with the OS update, but this will not install either, and I get a dialogue box telling me that Appleworks does not exist! I have tried running my 4 software restore disks twice, and have also e-mailed Apple, but both have proved unsuccessful. I am getting to the stage where I fear I may have to wipe everything off my hard drive and start again. If anyone has any idea of how I can avoid doing this, please do let me know. I am an author who has no access to any of his electronically stored writing, and am getting rather tense! Any suggestions gratefully received.

Robin Shelton ([email protected])

i find that after any update to AppleWorks or my System it is necessary to delete the AppleWorks 6 preferences. In OS X you want to move the AppleWorks preferences found in HD/Users/username/Library/Preferences/AppleWorks & the com.apple.appleworks.plist found in ~/Preferences/ to the Trash, then empty the Trash & restart AppleWorks. You don't want to trash the Button Bar Preferences if you have customized the Button Bar. You will need to reset any preferences you had changed, but AppleWorks' preferences are simple.

Also, after using any installer that requires your admin password, you should use Disk Utility to repair permissions.
Peggy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo