Sketch to AppleWorks

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Sketch to AppleWorks

Postby Jorge Lucas » Mon May 30, 2005 7:34 pm

Hello,

I need to draw more than one ovals crossing each others (like the Olympics Games symbol, where each oval appears entirely); I need to put some numbers inside the ovals.

I did these ovals in Sketch and try to copy the figure into AppleWorks. I could not.

Strange was that I could copy it into TextEdit.

Is there a way to draw ovals in one freeware program to copy it into AppleWorks?

Regards,

Lucas (the guy from Rio Grande do Sul)
Jorge Lucas

Re: Sketch to AppleWorks

Postby haumann » Mon May 30, 2005 8:28 pm

Jorge Lucas wrote:Hello,

I need to draw more than one ovals crossing each others (like the Olympics Games symbol, where each oval appears entirely); I need to put some numbers inside the ovals.

I did these ovals in Sketch and try to copy the figure into AppleWorks. I could not.

Is there a way to draw ovals in one freeware program to copy it into AppleWorks?

Regards,

When you say you could not copy the ovals (prepared in Sketch) -- did you get nothing? Or did you get something you didn't expect? Did "drag-and-drop" fail, or did copy-and-paste let you down? Or did you try to bring the graphic in by the File >Insert... menu item?

Is the figure too complex to be drawn directly using AppleWorks' tools?

John@was
haumann

Postby Jorge Lucas » Tue May 31, 2005 10:09 am

haumann wrote:

Regards,

When you say you could not copy the ovals (prepared in Sketch) -- did you get nothing? Or did you get something you didn't expect? Did "drag-and-drop" fail, or did copy-and-paste let you down? Or did you try to bring the graphic in by the File >Insert... menu item?

John@was

John,

Presently there are only 3 ovals, each representing a set of numbers (that go inside each oval).

If I try to do in AW6, I see completely only the one that is above; I need to see entirely the 3 of them.

I can not import them to AW6: the only thing that appears is a black rectangle.

I will send you the Sketch file.

Thanks by now,

Jorge Lucas

Postby Barry » Tue May 31, 2005 10:52 pm

Jorge Lucas wrote:
haumann wrote:

Regards,

John@was

John,

Presently there are only 3 ovals, each representing a set of numbers (that go inside each oval).

<b>If I try to do in AW6, I see completely only the one that is above; I need to see entirely the 3 of them.</b>

I can not import them to AW6: the only thing that appears is a black rectangle.

It appears that your ovals have an opaque white fill. Select all three, then use the Pattern palette to se the fill to Transparent (top left section, with two white overlapping squares). That should allow the lower ovals, and the numbers (contained in Text frames) to also show.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby Jorge Lucas » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:36 am

Barry wrote:It appears that your ovals have an opaque white fill. Select all three, then use the Pattern palette to se the fill to Transparent (top left section, with two white overlapping squares). That should allow the lower ovals, and the numbers (contained in Text frames) to also show.

Regards,
Barry

Barry,

As you know, John is a very kind fellow. And also humble.

I sent him my Sketch file and he sent me the way to do it directly in AW6, through e-mail. So the answer was not in AWUG.

You gave me basically the same solution that John sent me.

I thank both (and others in Apple Discussions).

As I said to John:

"Sometimes you do not see the things below your nose.
I use AW6 for more than six years and never knew what to do with that Pattern Palette.

I thank you for the tip (that I also putted in Apple Discussions) and added your solution to that forum.
Talking about this ... it looks like you do not use it. It surprises me, but when this observation occurred to me the first time, I thought that you saw it like emptying the AWUG.
It is just a guess.

Now that I know how to do it and the quality of the figure will be the same of the rest, there is only one thing left: the ease of Sketch to add text in it.

In AW6, to insert a text frame in a word processing document, will be difficult."

Coming back to this message:

To be faithful, once or twice I clicked in that Pattern Palette but did not found its use. Now John told me that I can even link the text frames. I will see this feature in two weeks from now (I am in the end of school trimester and very busy).

When I said that to include text frames would be difficult, I was comparing to the same feature in Sketch.

In Sketch, the size of a text frame will be enlarging as you type in;
in AW6, it began with a size around 7 cm.

So, as for the initial post of this topic, if I want to insert 10 numbers in 3 ovals representing 3 numbers sets, there will be 13 text frames, that you have to adjust the sizes.

The Sketch program is an unknown Apple program, but is newer than AW6. And it is done in Cocoa.

What about Pages? Does that program offers text frame like Sketch, or like AW6?

Thanks again Barry (and John).

Regards,

Jorge Lucas

Postby haumann » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:25 am

Jorge Lucas wrote:::: snip :::
When I said that to include text frames would be difficult, I was comparing to the same feature in Sketch.

So, as for the initial post of this topic, if I want to insert 10 numbers in 3 ovals representing 3 numbers sets, there will be 13 text frames, that you have to adjust the sizes.
::: snip :::

Jorge,

In a Draw document, to make a text frame, click on the Text tool (upper left corner icon in the toolbox), and with a quick diagonal "swoop" of the mouse, make the initial text frame as large as you like, and begin entering your text. Once you click out of that frame, it's vertical height will collapse to fit whatever text has been entered.

When I am preparing a graphic that will require uniformity across multiple tags (text label elements), I'll make one and adjust the text font, style, size, alignment, color, background, bounding box, etc., to my satisfaction. Then select this label frame with the Arrow tool (so the text frame exhibits the resizing handles), and press Command-D ten or fifteen times to make duplicates. Drag each frame into position, double-click on it's text, and type in the new value. "Lather, rinse, repeat" until all the labels have been placed. It takes less time to prepare fifteen element tags this way than it took to read this explanation.

Don't get me wrong, I like Sketch -- powerful and elegant -- but it's no more an AppleWorks tool than is Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, or MacDraw (yes, I know, I'm showing my age here). Although many feel that AppleWorks is showing it's age, and it does have some limitations, it is still an immensely powerful integrated piece of software -- and nifty to use.

John@was
haumann

Postby Barry » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:16 pm

Jorge Lucas wrote:Barry,

As you know, John is a very kind fellow. And also humble.

And fast, too. I had a browser crash while preparing a reply to your message this morning. John got in before I had a chance to get back to the computer, and posted essentially the same answer (regarding text frames) as I would have. One additional note below.

I thank you for the tip (that I also put it in Apple Discussions) and added your solution to that forum.
Talking about this ... it looks like you do not use it. It surprises me, but when this observation occurred to me the first time, I thought that you saw it like emptying the AWUG. It is just a guess.

Actually, I do visit Apple Discussions more or less daily, and saw your question there. I'd already posted here, though, and don't usually duplicate posts at more than one location. Barbara and Donna seemed to have the situation in hand there as well, so I decided to stick to this discussion and let that one take its own course.

Now that I know how to do it and the quality of the figure will be the same of the rest, there is only one thing left: the ease of Sketch to add text in it.

In AW6, to insert a text frame in a word processing document, will be difficult."

Not very difficult at all. Hold down the option key, click and drag a text frame to whatever width you want. Release the mouse button (and the option key) and start typing.

Coming back to this message:

To be faithful, once or twice I clicked in that Pattern Palette but did not found its use. Now John told me that I can even link the text frames. I will see this feature in two weeks from now (I am in the end of school trimester and very busy).

This surprises me. In AW 5 (what I have open at the moment), I put a default size text frame into a Draw document and checked the size. It was 4.23 x 4.94 mm. As has been mentioned by others, (non-linked) text frames in AppleWorks expand vertically to accomodate whatever text you insert. Width (horizontal expansion) is adjusted by the user.

The Sketch program is an unknown Apple program, but is newer than AW6. And it is done in Cocoa.

What about Pages? Does that program offers text frame like Sketch, or like AW6?

Thanks again Barry (and John).

Regards,

I can't tell you anything about Pages, as I haven't yet seen it.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby Jorge Lucas » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:22 pm

/Barry

I thank you for the tip (that I also put it in Apple Discussions) and added your solution to that forum.
Talking about this ... it looks like you do not use it. It surprises me, but when this observation occurred to me the first time, I thought that you saw it like emptying the AWUG. It is just a guess.

Actually, I do visit Apple Discussions more or less daily, and saw your question there. I'd already posted here, though, and don't usually duplicate posts at more than one location. Barbara and Donna seemed to have the situation in hand there as well, so I decided to stick to this discussion and let that one take its own course.

[/quote]

Barry,

If you read my former post again, you will see that I putted a phrase between quotes, referring to a phrase that I wrote to John, not you, that I saw several times in Apple Discussions.

I still have the feeling that John thinks that just one forum would be better for the AppleWorks users, because less time would be spent in questions and answers.
And my guess is that he does not post there because this opinion.
Just in the case that I am right, I understand John´s position.

I would prefer that too. Once I putted a question in one of the two and no answer came, then I putted on the other and the solution appeared.

Today I got a problem with my iBook G4 and now I can not use it. So I will have to provide it a bus ticket to São Paulo or Porto Alegre to make a repair.

Now, I am using the iMac G4 of my daughter, and will be difficult to write to the forum.

I hope that it returns from the coma.

Regards,

Jorge Lucas

Postby haumann » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:16 pm

Jorge Lucas wrote:I still have the feeling that John thinks that just one forum would be better for the AppleWorks users, because less time would be spent in questions and answers.
And my guess is that he does not post there because this opinion.
Just in the case that I am right, I understand John´s position.

Your analysis, Jorge, is too deep. When I discovered the AWUG forum, I found it had a simple structure; no über organization, but easy to navigate and participate. I've learned a lot about AppleWorks here, and it never occurred to me to look for (and register in) other forums. In two words: comfortable and lazy.

John@was
haumann

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo