Latest update and Tiger don't work together in Word Process

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Postby RonA9 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:29 pm

Since I installed Tiger, (10.4.1), I can't get AW Word Proc. to accept a keystroke in any document (new or opened) without forcing AW to quit. Deleted Prefs and AW and re-installed AW, but the same thing happens. Try to add one letter in a WP window, and it quits!

How do I correct this problem, since I seem to be about the only one suffering this one?
RonA9

Re: Latest update and Tiger don't work together in Word Proc

Postby haumann » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:59 pm

RonA9 wrote:Since I installed Tiger, (10.4.1), I can't get AW Word Proc. to accept a keystroke in any document (new or opened) without forcing AW to quit. Deleted Prefs and AW and re-installed AW, but the same thing happens. Try to add one letter in a WP window, and it quits!

How do I correct this problem, since I seem to be about the only one suffering this one?

I assume that the preferences were discarded while AppleWorks was not running. Although it seems obscure, some people have reported solving this problem by also emptying the Documents >AppleWorks User Data >Starting Points >Recent Items folder in your user directory.

John@was
haumann

Postby RonA9 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:37 pm

I completely erased AW6 AND its prefs, restarted my PowerPC with dual 450 mhz CPU's, and reinstalled it, downloaded the 6.2.9 update and installed it. That brought me to where I was when i wrote in.

Now, I've disgarded the recent items, started up AW6, ...same result. As soon as I hit a key to put a regular alpha character in the page, it sits there for a couple of seconds with no character appearing and cuts out. The error message says that the program quit unexpectedly, and would I like to report it?

Aggravating!
RonA9

Postby haumann » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:12 pm

RonA9 wrote:I completely erased AW6 AND its prefs, restarted my PowerPC with dual 450 mhz CPU's, and reinstalled it, downloaded the 6.2.9 update and installed it. That brought me to where I was when i wrote in.

Now, I've disgarded the recent items, started up AW6, ...same result. As soon as I hit a key to put a regular alpha character in the page, it sits there for a couple of seconds with no character appearing and cuts out. The error message says that the program quit unexpectedly, and would I like to report it?

Aggravating!

I just saw in another forum where similar symptoms were present when the user was trying to use a Unicode setting for his keyboard. Since AW is not Unicode aware, it resulted in a crash when keyboard input was attempted.

If that's not the case, try these two things to narrow the possibilities.

1) Make sure AW is not unning. Navigate to the AppleWorks bundle in Finder, select the icon and control-click on it to get the contextual menu. Choose "Show Package Contents". Open the "Contents", then the "MacOSClassic" folder. In there, you'll find the Classic version of AW. Launch AppleWorks using this icon and see if the Classic version runs without crashing.

2) Establish a new user account, log in as the new user, and see if AppleWorks functions normally from the new account.

Let us know if either or both of these schemes work.

John@was
haumann

Postby RonA9 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:49 pm

That hint about the Unicode was the answer! Apparently, language flag defaulted to the English Extended code. When I restored that to U.S., AW worked as it should have all along!!!

Thanks for the tip!!
RonA9

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo