templates, data base

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

templates, data base

Postby grandy12 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:29 am

I have a number of documents that I keep as templates s they re frequentl used. Every time I open one, a unwanted copy is made so afer a while I have to spend time deleting all the copies.
I wis to use the data base function to send invitions to a party. It will contain the first and last names of each guest, his address and postal (Zip) code. How do I go about doing this?
Thanks
W.R. Harris
I've just reoined AWUG havinf resigned when it was called CWUG
grandy12

Re: templates, data base

Postby haumann » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:26 am

grandy12 wrote:I have a number of documents that I keep as templates s they re frequentl used. Every time I open one, a unwanted copy is made so afer a while I have to spend time deleting all the copies.
I wis to use the data base function to send invitions to a party. It will contain the first and last names of each guest, his address and postal (Zip) code. How do I go about doing this?
Thanks
W.R. Harris
I've just reoined AWUG havinf resigned when it was called CWUG

If you open your templates from Starting Points (or from the File >New... menu -- I don't know which version of AW you're having trouble with), you won't encounter the redundant files you've described.

If you'd rather continue opening new documents from outside either of these dialogs, then resave your "template" files as standard documents, but lock the file(s). That will force AW to open a copy of the locked file, which you will rename when you ultimately save it, without generating an extra duplicate of your "template" document.

John@was
haumann

Re: data base

Postby Barry » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:02 am

grandy12 wrote:I wis to use the data base function to send invitions to a party. It will contain the first and last names of each guest, his address and postal (Zip) code. How do I go about doing this?

Have you looked at the two examples of this in the Starting Points templates? Both "Caterer Address" and "Teacher Address" contain mailing label/shipping label layouts that perform the function you're looking for.

The "Address List" Assistant will also produce a Personal Address List DB that contains a mailing label layout. If using this one, I'd create a calculation type field to replace/combine the First Name and Last Name fields used in the first row, and another to replace/combine the three fields in the third line.

Formulas for these two:

'Fullname': 'First Name'&" "&'Last Name'

'City ST CODE': UPPER('City'&" "&'State'&" "&'Zip')

The Assistant-created DB does include a field similar to the last one above, but this version produces the
"CITY ST 12345" format mandated by Canada Post and by the US Postal Service (Provided that the State field contains the two letter symbols for the state name).

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo