want to make new default settings

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

want to make new default settings

Postby ithanky4ever » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:15 pm

i want to make some new default settings when i open my appleworks 6 to word Processing page.

i was reading through past posts at the AWUG and i saw a 'fix' for the Helvetica Bug at this post:

http://www.awug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2284

i did what that post recommended,and i made new default settings for font style,and font size.,also some of the different paragraph and line settings..

***I could not find a way to make space after paragraphs..which i like to do..I**

I made my line spacing 1.5..i would like to add an additional .5 inch between paragraphs..

can i make this setting on this new WP template..

I followed John Haumann;s instructions the best i could ( from the post above).and first made the settings in the
FORMAT>STYLES
then went to EDIT > SAVE AS.
then clicked the radio button for "Template" (there was no radio button for "Stationery" as mentioned in the posted instructions)
..Also,i had to designate an area to "save to" because there was no "SAVE" (without the "TO").
I designated it to be saved to DOCUMENTS..
should it have been to APPLICATIONS folder,or to one i made myself "MY TEMPLATES"?

many thanks

to reiterate: would like to add 'space after paragraphs' to my default settings in this "Appleworks WP Options template".
ithanky4ever

Re: want to make new default settings

Postby haumann » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:35 pm

ithanky4ever wrote:i want to make some new default settings when i open my appleworks 6 to word Processing page.

i was reading through past posts at the AWUG and i saw a 'fix' for the Helvetica Bug at this post:

http://www.awug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2284

i did what that post recommended,and i made new default settings for font style,and font size.,also some of the different paragraph and line settings..

***I could not find a way to make space after paragraphs..which i like to do..I**

I made my line spacing 1.5..i would like to add an additional .5 inch between paragraphs..

can i make this setting on this new WP template..

I followed John Haumann;s instructions the best i could ( from the post above).and first made the settings in the
FORMAT>STYLES
then went to EDIT > SAVE AS.
then clicked the radio button for "Template" (there was no radio button for "Stationery" as mentioned in the posted instructions)
..Also,i had to designate an area to "save to" because there was no "SAVE" (without the "TO").
I designated it to be saved to DOCUMENTS..
should it have been to APPLICATIONS folder,or to one i made myself "MY TEMPLATES"?

many thanks

to reiterate: would like to add 'space after paragraphs' to my default settings in this "Appleworks WP Options template".

I get the impression you want to save not just any template, but a new default template.

If you want the new format to be your default new document format then you must follow the instructions to the letter (your interpretation of the interface choices was correct). When you go to save the document and choose the "Template" radio button, AppleWorks will know where the document should be stored. Do not try to redirect it somewhere else, unless you don't want the convenience of having your new documents open with these default settings.

Start with a fresh document and make all the formatting adjustments you want. Paragraph formatting is performed using the "Format >Paragraph..." menu item. Set your margins like you want them using the "Format >Document..." menu item. Choose the default font and it's size using items selected from the "Text" menu. You already have seen how to fix the Helvetica bug -- make this the last setting before saving the document.

Select "Save As...", name the document "AppleWorks WP Options" and select the "Template" radio button. Press "Save".

If it turns out your tastes change later, follow the process again. Using the same name, you'll then likely be prompted that the file already exists (if you saved this way in the first place) -- tell AW you want to replace the file with this latest incantation.

John@was
haumann

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo