Problem with loss of unsaved work

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Problem with loss of unsaved work

Postby 0137310EN » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:32 am

I am an experienced Appleworks user. Having upgraded to OS X (10.3.9) a few months ago, and running current version of AW (I think) I am finding that quite frequently I loose changes I have made make in documents.

I have been trying to work out exactly what the problem is for some time. I thought that the problem was that Autosave was not warning me when I tried to put something away that I had not saved, but that does not seem to be it exactly because Autosave does seem to be working in that respect.

I think that the problem ocurrs if you have two AW documents on the screen at once (only one can be active of course) and if you toggle between them, it does not save the changes you made or warn you as you leave one and go to the other and, then, when you go back to the first document, you find that you have lost all the changes you made since you last saved. If I am right, effectively, it is an Autosave problem but it is when you leave a document rather than when you try to put it away.

Is anyone else experiencing a problem here? Any suggestions?

Also, the (recognised) problem with templates opening copies is maddening!

My namel is David Duckham and e mail is [email protected]
0137310EN

Re: Problem with loss of unsaved work

Postby Peggy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:23 am

0137310EN wrote:I am an experienced Appleworks user. Having upgraded to OS X (10.3.9) a few months ago, and running current version of AW (I think) I am finding that quite frequently I loose changes I have made make in documents.

I have been trying to work out exactly what the problem is for some time. I thought that the problem was that Autosave was not warning me when I tried to put something away that I had not saved, but that does not seem to be it exactly because Autosave does seem to be working in that respect.

I think that the problem ocurrs if you have two AW documents on the screen at once (only one can be active of course) and if you toggle between them, it does not save the changes you made or warn you as you leave one and go to the other and, then, when you go back to the first document, you find that you have lost all the changes you made since you last saved. If I am right, effectively, it is an Autosave problem but it is when you leave a document rather than when you try to put it away.

Is anyone else experiencing a problem here? Any suggestions?

Also, the (recognised) problem with templates opening copies is maddening!

My namel is David Duckham and e mail is [email protected]

This doesn't have anything to do with toggling between open documents. My guess is that you did one of two things while the files were open in AppleWorks, renamed the file in the Finder or moved the File in the Finder. Either of these will "break" AppleWorks connection to the file. Unless you had a program running in the background that records keyboard input, I'm afraid your work is lost & you will have to re-do it.
Peggy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo