AW-comptabile b&w laser printers

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

AW-comptabile b&w laser printers

Postby lora » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:30 pm

Hi everyone!

Just switched to AW on os X on an eMac and can no longer use my dependable old Laser Writer 300. Just wondering if any body has some suggestions/suggestions to avoid among the various low-cost b&w laser printers that are Os X comptabile--I've seen various horror stories about incompatability and unreliability in reviews on CNET and Amazon and hoping some AW users could steer me in the right direction or at least keep me from going in the wrong direction. Any help would be greatly apprecaited thanks!!!!!
lora

Postby djkowall » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:54 pm

I have 2 Samsung black and white laser printers, both of which work well with AW, which is at least 75% of my computing. One is an ML-1710 and the newer one is an ML-1430. I can still get long lasting cartridges for both, but I think the current model is ML-1740. Here's a link: http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc ... ome+Office
djkowall

Are you sure it won't work?

Postby JE » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:50 pm

Are you sure the LaserWriter won't work? Many of those, like the Laserwriter 600 are network-able. If they communicated via Appletalk then they will work now. Just use something like Asante "Talk."

Caveats: Many Laswerwriters weren't network-able. Also, with the current price of monochrome lasers, it might be better just to get a new one, network-able or not. Keep in mind, though, that some Laserwriters were PS printers, and most low priced printers do not include that feature. This issue becomes a bit less important with OS Tiger.

Finally, I've kept my old Laserwriter 600, because it simply prints better than the new ones, and it's a PS printer. Take a very close look at gray scale and text printing, and some of those old printers are far better than printers rated at "1200 dpi" and up. Sad to say, many of those "effective 1200 dpi" printers certainly aren't-it's marketing hype.
JE

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo