appleworks crashes only on one document

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

appleworks crashes only on one document

Postby Gary Crees » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:11 am

Hi
i've been using appleworks & previously Clarisworks for a long time. i have occasionally had a file become faulty but recovery seems to fix it fine. but this time i have a Database file that is an important one to me that kept on crashing today after inputing a lot of updates.
i trashed the plist, changed the name of the document still no good.
i then tried older versions of the document with still the same result.
so i replaced Appleworks, trashed old pref + repaired disk permissions & restarted + worked on a previously backed up version of the file & it still crashes Appleworks.
but appleworks seems to be working fine on other files, so very strange.
i'd appreciate any suggestions
regards
gary
AUS

Imac 800GHz 17"
OSX.3.9
Appleworks 6.2.9
etc
Gary Crees

Re: appleworks crashes only on one document

Postby Barry » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:35 am

Gary Crees wrote:Hi
i've been using appleworks & previously Clarisworks for a long time. i have occasionally had a file become faulty but recovery seems to fix it fine. but this time i have a Database file that is an important one to me that kept on crashing today after inputing a lot of updates.
so i replaced Appleworks, trashed old pref + repaired disk permissions & restarted + worked on a previously backed up version of the file & it still crashes Appleworks.
regards
gary
AUS

Imac 800GHz 17"
OSX.3.9
Appleworks 6.2.9
etc

Here are a few other things to try, Gary:

*One of the things I'd suspect is a corrupted font that you've used only in this document, or in others you haven't opened and tested. Chasing it down may be a long exercise, but an initial suspect would be Bauhaus (there's more to the name), which is known to be susceptible to corruption.

*Empty one of the older versions of the DB, then Save As... and give it a new name. Close it and reopen it, then open the most recent version, select all, and drag the old version onto the new one.

*Try saving the DB as an AppleWorks 5 document, then close the original and open the version 5 copy.

No guarantees, but thes bits of Mac voodoo have been known to remove corruption in the past.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Re: appleworks crashes only on one document

Postby haumann » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:19 pm

Gary Crees wrote:Hi
but this time i have a Database file that is an important one to me that kept on crashing today after inputing a lot of updates.
regards
gary
AUS

I had this happen once to me on a large student DB. One record had become corrupted, and whenever it came into view, AW would crash. If the DB tries to open while that record is "off screen", you would have a better chance of narrowing it down. In your case, it sounds like the corrupt record is in the view window upon document launch.

I'm pretty sure we can save the data, if it comes to that, but let's try something else first. If your iMac has Classic installed, maybe the Classic version of AW wiil have more luck (it's a stretch, but a painless one). Select the file's icon in Finder and press command-I to open a "Get Info" window. Click on the "Open with:" disclosure triangle, and select the other "AppleWorks 6" application from the pull-down menu. When it's been selected, it should say "version 6.2.8". Try launching the document by double-clicking the file's icon.

If that doesn't prove successful, we'll salvage the data using the AW SS.

John@was
haumann

Appleworks crashes only on one document

Postby Gary Crees » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:38 am

Thanks Barry & John for replying.
Barry, your suggestion to save in Appleworks 5 format seems to have worked. i also just in case changed the fonts to standard Times & Helvetica. have been working on it for a while & seems fine so far.

John, i don't have appleworks installed in Classic. i've never used classic as i found it too slow & annoying. but you mention:

what is AW SS ? sounds like it might be helpful to know about
could you tell me what it is & how i can get a copy
thanks again for the assistance.
very helpful & great to have such a useful forum
gary
Gary Crees

Re: Appleworks crashes only on one document

Postby Barry » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:20 pm

Gary Crees wrote:John, i don't have appleworks installed in Classic. i've never used classic as i found it too slow & annoying. but you mention:

what is AW SS ? sounds like it might be helpful to know about
could you tell me what it is & how i can get a copy
thanks again for the assistance.
very helpful & great to have such a useful forum
gary

You already have a copy :-)

[A]pple[W]orks [S]pread[S]heet.

John's likely referring to copying the date afrom thedatabase (DB), pasting it into a spreadsheet (SS), then reversing the process to get it back into a DB. Sometimes we talk in abbreviations here, and forget that not everyone knows them.

Happy to hear that saving the document as an AW 5 document and reopening it worked for you. IIRC (If I recall correctly), I learned that technique from an earlier posting by John.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Re: Appleworks crashes only on one document

Postby JE » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:58 pm

Gary Crees wrote:
John, i don't have appleworks installed in Classic. i've never used classic as i found it too slow & annoying. but you mention:

Classic will run AW (and everything else) about 10 times faster than any version OS X. It's very easy to open in Classic, as it is exactly the same application, after all.
JE

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo