Database problems

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Database problems

Postby BHP517 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:14 pm

I have a jobs database set up in AW and after 68 records, it malfunctions. When I command new record, I get a duplicate of the last record and I cannot add another entry. When I delete the duplicate record, the original record is deleted. Anyone know remedies? This happens every year after so many entries, the DB malfunctions.
BHP517

Re: Database problems

Postby Barry » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:58 pm

BHP517 wrote:I have a jobs database set up in AW and after 68 records, it malfunctions. When I command new record, I get a duplicate of the last record and I cannot add another entry. When I delete the duplicate record, the original record is deleted. Anyone know remedies? This happens every year after so many entries, the DB malfunctions.

AppleWorks database files seem to be the type most prone to corruption, and a little advance preparation is in order to help get past the bumps. I can offer a few suggestions, but there are others around here more familiar with the problem, and I hope they'll also chime in.

This problem has been discussed here previously, and you may find some solutions in the archives by doing a search on 'database'.

As a first step. make a copy of your current DB, open it, delete all the records, then save it. Make sure you've used a name that's different from the original.

Second step: Make a copy of the now empty DB. Put it aside as a backup form.

Third step: Open your original DB file, then Save As... Text (or ASCII, depending which is in your Save As list). Close the original.

Fourth step: Bring the first copy (the one you emptied, then saved) of your DB to the front. Go File > Insert... and find the copy you saved as Text. Insert this file, then Save the result.

The conversion of the saved data to text <i>may</i> strip the corruption that is causing this behaviour.

Regards,
Barry

PS: I notice John (Haumann) replied to an earlier thread regarding this problem, but neither you nor the originator responded to his query. Following it up might have led to a solution back in March.

B.
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo