DB file crashes with AW Windows version

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

DB file crashes with AW Windows version

Postby Harry » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:20 am

I have been using AW now for probably 15 years. About 2 years ago I switched from Macs to PC on a new Dell because of some other applications I need to run on PC.
Currently am using AW 6.2.1 Windows version with XP Home Edition latest upgrades. Most of the crossover between Mac & PC have run seamlessly.
However, one of my databases is crashing.
This one database with over 400 names is beginning to crash more and more. The first field (LAST NAME) contains garbage instead of the last name in about 20 of the records.
It seems that every time I either scroll to or find that last name (in the records that contain garbage instead of the correct last name), it immediately crashes closing out the AW program.
Is there any solution other than to delete those 20 records and re-enter them?
Looking forward to your ideas to me at [email protected] (in San Diego).
Thanks, Harry Bennett Jr.
Harry

Re: DB file crashes with AW Windows version

Postby haumann » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:50 pm

Harry wrote:This one database with over 400 names is beginning to crash more and more. The first field (LAST NAME) contains garbage instead of the last name in about 20 of the records.
It seems that every time I either scroll to or find that last name (in the records that contain garbage instead of the correct last name), it immediately crashes closing out the AW program.
Is there any solution other than to delete those 20 records and re-enter them?
Looking forward to your ideas to me at [email protected] (in San Diego).
Thanks, Harry Bennett Jr.

You'll need to build a new database, but you can salvage most of the information -- even in those 20-odd records, the undamaged fields will be just fine. The hardest part is setting up a blank database. Since you still can read the corrupt DB file, I would just create the new DB and temporarily name the fields A, B, C, D, ... etc. Then in the corrupt DB, select all records, and drag the selection into the new DB window (I assume you can drag-and-drop like this in the Windows version). Rename the fields and fix the corrupt entries, and you'll be good to go until the next time.

BTW, those scrambled fields are merely an indication of the underlying corruption. I suspect you'll transfer the scrambled characters, but the actual corruption will be left behind. If that turns out not to be the case, then deleting just the scrambled characters won't be enough -- you'll have to delete those entire records. But don't do that unless it becomes necessary.

John@was
haumann

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo