Field data insertion

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Field data insertion

Postby JP » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:16 am

I understand that Appleworks does not have the ability to import the actual database layout, but rather the information within various fields can be imported. How would I go about importing/tranferring data between three separate databases? Each database has either one or a few fields in common with the others (their fields are labeled with the same name).

Thanks!

-JP
JP

Re: Field data insertion

Postby Jorge Lucas » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:49 am

JP wrote:I understand that Appleworks does not have the ability to import the actual database layout, but rather the information within various fields can be imported. How would I go about importing/tranferring data between three separate databases? Each database has either one or a few fields in common with the others (their fields are labeled with the same name).

Thanks!

-JP

JP,

Let's suppose that you want to copy data from DB1 to Db2.

1) Make a copy of the entire DB1, that will be named DB1_Copy;
2) delete all the fields from this DB1_Copy, that will not be copied to DB2
(this is very important, because those unused fields could go to some fields of DB2, even if they have different names; it already happened with me);
3) select all the records that you want data to copy from this DB1_Copy;
4) go to menu Edit and choose Copy;
5) open DB2 ( without selecting a record );
6) go to menu Edit and choose Paste;
7) look what you have done.

Regards,

Lucas (The guy from Rio Grande do Sul)
Jorge Lucas

Re: Field data insertion

Postby Barry » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:24 pm

Jorge Lucas wrote:
JP wrote:I understand that Appleworks does not have the ability to import the actual database layout, but rather the information within various fields can be imported. How would I go about importing/tranferring data between three separate databases? Each database has either one or a few fields in common with the others (their fields are labeled with the same name).

Thanks!

-JP

JP,

Let's suppose that you want to copy data from DB1 to Db2.

1) Make a copy of the entire DB1, that will be named DB1_Copy;
2) delete all the fields from this DB1_Copy, that will not be copied to DB2
(this is very important, because those unused fields could go to some fields of DB2, even if they have different names; it already happened with me);
3) select all the records that you want data to copy from this DB1_Copy;
4) go to menu Edit and choose Copy;
5) open DB2 ( without selecting a record );
6) go to menu Edit and choose Paste;
7) look what you have done.

Regards,

Lucas (The guy from Rio Grande do Sul)

Nice clean technique, Jorge!

One thing I'd add: make sure that the fields are in the same TAB order in the source and target DBs.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo