Appleworks mail merge question?

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks mail merge question?

Postby JP » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:35 am

I'm aware of a feature within Appleworks that will enable you to assign a code and/or abbrevation to data. In other words, say I type in the code 'MSX' in box A. In boxes B through E, there would be address/contact data fields. These fields would be automatically filled in once the appropriate code is typed into box A (a database with all of the parent codes and respective contact information would need to be created). Obviously, this would save a lot of time, but I've been unable to figure out how to use this unique mail merge feature within Appleworks. How would I go about merging/assigning the data?

Thanks!
-JP
JP

Re: Appleworks mail merge question?

Postby Barry » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:47 pm

JP wrote:I'm aware of a feature within Appleworks that will enable you to assign a code and/or abbrevation to data. In other words, say I type in the code 'MSX' in box A. In boxes B through E, there would be address/contact data fields. These fields would be automatically filled in once the appropriate code is typed into box A (a database with all of the parent codes and respective contact information would need to be created). Obviously, this would save a lot of time, but I've been unable to figure out how to use this unique mail merge feature within Appleworks. How would I go about merging/assigning the data?

Thanks!
-JP

The process of merging database data into a word processing document is well covered in AppleWorks Help.

With AppleWorks running, go to the Help menu and choose Appleworks Help (or press command-?). In Help, type "merge" into the search box and press return. The top item in the search results should be "merging data into another document (mail merge)".

Reading the help article (and experimenting with a small DB and a WP doc you make up for test purposes) should give you a general understanding of the process, but may leave you with more questions. If so, please repost.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo