Printing Avery mailing labels with a graphic included

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Printing Avery mailing labels with a graphic included

Postby bobgoette » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:19 pm

How do I go about printing Avery mailing labels containing a graphic (the same graphic on each label) from a list of people(a mail merge) in my Address Book(OS 10.3.9)?
bobgoette

Re: Printing Avery mailing labels with a graphic included

Postby Barry » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:24 am

bobgoette wrote:How do I go about printing Avery mailing labels containing a graphic (the same graphic on each label) from a list of people(a mail merge) in my Address Book(OS 10.3.9)?

Labels are created from a Layout within an AppleWorks Database document. Mail merge (which places information form an AW database onto copies of an AW word processing document) is not involved.

The first place to look for instructions on creating labels is in AppleWorks Help. Launch AppleWorks, then choose AppleWorks Help from the Help menu. In AW Help, type "labels" in the Search box, then click on the appropriate links in the list provided.

Note that the information to go on the labels is taken fom the database document. As this information is currently in your Address Book, you'll need to transfer/copy ot to an AW database. Unfortunately, AppleWorks can't read the Vcards produced by Address Book, and to my knowledge (which is minimal) Addrerss Book can't export to the tab-delimited text format needed ny AppleWorks. Fortunately, there are third party applications that can perform these intermediary duties, and there are others here who know what they are (I haven't had a need to know yet).

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby dnabag » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:42 am

Barry wrote:Fortunately, there are third party applications that can perform these intermediary duties, and there are others here who know what they are (I haven't had a need to know yet).

Regards,
Barry

I've found this to be the most stable of the third party apps:

http://gwenhiver.net/applications/addre ... /index.php

(Others can be found at VersionTracker.)

Cheers.
dnabag

Postby bobgoette » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:08 am

dnabag wrote:
Barry wrote:Fortunately, there are third party applications that can perform these intermediary duties, and there are others here who know what they are (I haven't had a need to know yet).

Regards,
Barry

Cheers.

Thanks to the suggestions above and the little program "addressbookexporter" I have been able to transfer a selected group of names and addresses from the AddressBook over to a new AppleWorks DB. I have also added a multimedia field to this new DB which has allowed me to place a graphic into each record. I have also been able to print this DB out with the graphic included. What I have NOT been able to do is a print labels with the graphic on each label along with the names and addresses. Is there something I am missing in doing this? What I am after is to have a graphic along with the name/address all on the same label.

Thanks, Bob
bobgoette

Postby Barry » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:51 pm

bobgoette wrote:
dnabag wrote:

Regards,
Barry

Cheers.

Thanks to the suggestions above and the little program "addressbookexporter" I have been able to transfer a selected group of names and addresses from the AddressBook over to a new AppleWorks DB. I have also added a multimedia field to this new DB which has allowed me to place a graphic into each record. I have also been able to print this DB out with the graphic included. What I have NOT been able to do is a print labels with the graphic on each label along with the names and addresses. Is there something I am missing in doing this? What I am after is to have a graphic along with the name/address all on the same label.

Thanks, Bob

Bob, unless I had a very pressing need to include graphics with each record, I would avoid using a multimedia type field in an AppleWorks database, as these reportedly make the file more susceptible to corruption.

In your case, since you want the same graphic on each label, you don't need to place this graphic into a field. Any element that is to appear on every label should be placed directly onto the Layout for that label.

To do that, bring your labels layout to the front, then go Layout > Layout. Paste the graphic onto the layout, position and size it as you desire, then return to Browse mode (Layout > Browse) (and ensure that Window > Page View is checked) to see the result.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo