transfer Appleworks 5.03 doc database to Excel spreadsheet

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

transfer Appleworks 5.03 doc database to Excel spreadsheet

Postby starke » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:31 pm

I have an Appleworks database document created in 5.0.3 and want to transfer it to a PC. I assume I'll need to transfer it to an Excel document. How do I do that? Do I need to upgrade to a newer version of Appleworks?
starke

Re: transfer Appleworks 5.03 doc database to Excel spreadshe

Postby Barry » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:21 am

starke wrote:I have an Appleworks database document created in 5.0.3 and want to transfer it to a PC. I assume I'll need to transfer it to an Excel document. How do I do that? Do I need to upgrade to a newer version of Appleworks?

It depends on the types of fields you have in your DB. Text, Number, Value List and Check box fields should transfer with no problems. Calculation fields will likely transfer the data (as a number or as text), but not the formula. Time and Date fields will likely transfer as Text, and Excel will likely be able to translate the text into the number it uses to store those values (which for dates is not the same number as AppleWorks uses).

AppleWorks 5 offers four choices for saving a database as a non-AppleWorks file: ASCII Text, DBF, DIF and SYLK. Excel should be able to open the first, third and fourth of these, with the last two giving a better chance of maintaining some or all of the formulas and formatting you've used.

Saving the file in all four versions will take little time. Remember to add the appropriate three letter extension to the file name ( .txt, .dbf, .dif, and .slk ) so that Windows and Excel will be able to tell what type of file they're dealing with.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo