Where is all my text?

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Where is all my text?

Postby Madamarnold » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:00 pm

Hello there...I wonder if anyone can help.

I am a complete spreadsheets novice and have been asked to edit a database of text information, which will be used to put fiolm reviews on a website.

I have been sent the files in Excel, which opens just fine in Appleworks 6 as a spreadsheet, although I'm using it for text rather than numbers.

My problem is that I am cutting and pasting text from SimpleText into the Entry Frame of AW SS so that I can edit it and enter it into the appropriate cell, but that I cannot see all of the text I have pasted. Even if I change the cell size, the entry frame only seems to hold a certain number of characters, so if I paste a big paragraph, I only get the first sentance and a half.

What can I do about this? When I enlarge the cells of the text that was already in there (when it was sent to me as an Excel document) I can't see all the text in there either. I simply want to know that everything I want to paste is in fact being pasted.

I have also been asked to insert carriage returns when pasting the text into cells, but am not sure how to do this on my Mac (which is another reason I need to see all of the text in the entry frame).

Please help!

Sincerely,

Madamarnold x
Madamarnold

Re: Where is all my text?

Postby Jorge Lucas » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:09 pm

Madamarnold wrote:Hello there...I wonder if anyone can help.

I am a complete spreadsheets novice and have been asked to edit a database of text information, which will be used to put fiolm reviews on a website.

I have been sent the files in Excel, which opens just fine in Appleworks 6 as a spreadsheet, although I'm using it for text rather than numbers.

My problem is that I am cutting and pasting text from SimpleText into the Entry Frame of AW SS so that I can edit it and enter it into the appropriate cell, but that I cannot see all of the text I have pasted. Even if I change the cell size, the entry frame only seems to hold a certain number of characters, so if I paste a big paragraph, I only get the first sentance and a half.

What can I do about this? When I enlarge the cells of the text that was already in there (when it was sent to me as an Excel document) I can't see all the text in there either. I simply want to know that everything I want to paste is i

Hello Arnold (?),

For your purpose, what will fits you better would be a DataBase, since you want a database of text.

Since I am not a technician in the deep of AW, I did a AppleWorks DB for this purpose, with 4 fields:
"#", of the type "Serial Number"
"Movie", of the type "Text"
"Comment1", of the type "Text"
"Comment2", of the type "Text"

So I went to insert a text in "Comment1" to see how much it could handle; I try to put your entire post but it stops where I quote your post: in the "to paste is i ".

In the field "Comment2", I could insert the rest of your post.

I did not try another "Comment" field, but probably I could put more. I am not sure if I could merge the "Comment" fields in one, but I will look this if there is interest from you.

Regards,

Lucas (the guy from Rio Grande do Sul)
Jorge Lucas

Re: Where is all my text?

Postby Jorge Lucas » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:13 pm

Madamarnold wrote:Hello there...I wonder if anyone can help.

Hello again Arnold (?),

You are lucky: I could do it; using 4 "Comment" fields and another 2 AppleWorks WP (one to make a layout and another created by the "Mail Merge").

I created comments for 2 movies and I managed to have the comments in such a way that one follows the antecessor.

The results were:
Movie 1: 2420 characters, 395 words in 44 lines
Movie 2: 2052 characters, 302 words in 42 lines.

Is that enough for you? If you want details, repost asking for them.

I do not know how big the original DB can be, but there is a trick for that too.

Regards,

Lucas (the guy from Rio Grande do Sul)
Jorge Lucas

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo