Inserting special characters

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Inserting special characters

Postby Lawnman » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:06 pm

With some trepidation, because I am probably overlooking something very obvious....

I confess that I was unaware of the Keyboard Viewer until Haumann drew my attention to it recently (thanks John), and find that I can use it to insert the more usual accented letters.

But what about all the other special characters that I find in the Character Palette, which I now access more quickly in the same way rather than via the Font Book. I have succeeded in the past in using it, but seem to have lost the knack. Highlighting the character I want does not bring the insert button into play.

Is this because a) upgrading to Tiger has changed things, or b) I am now using fonts (New York and Tahoma most frequently) which don't work with the character palette, or c) (most likely) I am forgetting an integral step in the process?

I'm sure someone can put me straight.

Jon
Lawnman

Re: Inserting special characters

Postby Peggy » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:29 pm

Lawnman wrote:With some trepidation, because I am probably overlooking something very obvious....

I confess that I was unaware of the Keyboard Viewer until Haumann drew my attention to it recently (thanks John), and find that I can use it to insert the more usual accented letters.

But what about all the other special characters that I find in the Character Palette, which I now access more quickly in the same way rather than via the Font Book. I have succeeded in the past in using it, but seem to have lost the knack. Highlighting the character I want does not bring the insert button into play.

Is this because a) upgrading to Tiger has changed things, or b) I am now using fonts (New York and Tahoma most frequently) which don't work with the character palette, or c) (most likely) I am forgetting an integral step in the process?

I'm sure someone can put me straight.

Jon

AppleWorks 6 is not unicode aware & is only able to use a very small subset of the characters available in the Character Palette.
Peggy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo