received appleworks files from a client, and can't open them

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

received appleworks files from a client, and can't open them

Postby eleanor » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:53 pm

I received about 10 Appleworks graphics/drawing files, and am having no luck in opening them. I obviously don't have the Appleworks program, but I do have the following on my OS 10.3.5 Powerbook:

MS Word/Excel/Powerpoint v.X
Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop CS
Adobe Acrobat 6.0.2

Will any of these programs open these files at all? Or is there a translator somewhere I can purchase and download? I need to work with these files tonight and early tomorrow morning to have my project back to the client tomorrow morning. And I need to be able to access the text in the files for what I need to do, if possible. (The idea of re-keystroking all this text is not fun.)

Please help! Thanks.
eleanor

Re: received appleworks files from a client, and can't open

Postby Barry » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:20 am

eleanor wrote:I received about 10 Appleworks graphics/drawing files, and am having no luck in opening them. I obviously don't have the Appleworks program, but I do have the following on my OS 10.3.5 Powerbook:

MS Word/Excel/Powerpoint v.X
Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop CS
Adobe Acrobat 6.0.2

Will any of these programs open these files at all? Or is there a translator somewhere I can purchase and download? I need to work with these files tonight and early tomorrow morning to have my project back to the client tomorrow morning. And I need to be able to access the text in the files for what I need to do, if possible. (The idea of re-keystroking all this text is not fun.)

Please help! Thanks.

Although AppleWorks CAN save files in formats that can be opened by the MS applications above, and under OS X can print the files to a PDF document that could be opened by Acrobat, none of the listed applications will open AppleWors files in their native format.

Your most direct solution might be to get icWord:

Use icWord or icExcel to easily open on your Mac any of the following files:
Word (version 6 to 2004)
Excel (version 95 to 2004)
PowerPoint
AppleWorks (version 5 or 6)

You can download a 30 day trial version of icWord from Panergy Software at

http://www.panergy-software.com/product ... gn_op.html

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help