Sharing Appleworks data base files with Microsoft Office

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Sharing Appleworks data base files with Microsoft Office

Postby mdreher2 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:22 pm

I use Appleworks for most of my office work. I need to share my data base files with other office staff and they use Office exclusively. How can I share my data base files without getting a new program. If I have to change programs what can I use?

Thanks for all help,

Marilyn
mdreher2

Re: Sharing Appleworks data base files with Microsoft Office

Postby Dale » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:47 am

mdreher2 wrote:I use Appleworks for most of my office work. I need to share my data base files with other office staff and they use Office exclusively. How can I share my data base files without getting a new program. If I have to change programs what can I use?

Hi Marilyn

If you have to share the database, the most effective solution is for everyone in the office to agree on a common database program and to all use it.

The reason I suggest this is because no database program is fully compatible with any other. That is, you can easily exchange data between databases by exporting them as text files (CSV or TSV files), and then importing the data into the other database program. But you can't export/import layouts or reports that you've created.

Dale
Dale

Sharing AppleWorks data base files with Microsoft Office

Postby mdreher2 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:37 pm

Dale,

Thank you so much for your response. I have come to the same conclusion and will probably try File Maker Pro because I think you can export more easily. I know that my co-workers will not switch to AppleWowrks. (Maybe one day)

Thanks again,

Marilyn
mdreher2

Re: Sharing AppleWorks data base files with Microsoft Office

Postby Dale » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:40 am

mdreher2 wrote:Dale,

Thank you so much for your response. I have come to the same conclusion and will probably try File Maker Pro because I think you can export more easily. I know that my co-workers will not switch to AppleWowrks. (Maybe one day)

Thanks again,

Marilyn

You're welcome. FileMaker is a good choice for any workgroup database. It's the no.1 database for both PCs & Macs, is simple to use, will import your AppleWorks data, and can be shared with other users whether they use a PC or Mac.

Cheers

Dale
Dale

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo