OS 7.1 & Clarisworks 2.1

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

OS 7.1 & Clarisworks 2.1

Postby mbm1 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:07 pm

I have recently started redatabasing from my old Mac running on OS 7.1 to my new Powerbook G4. the G4 is running OS 10.3.9 and would need a possible way to transfer files from old to new machines. Can everyone help? Easier the better.
mbm1

OS 7.1 & Clarisworks 2.1

Postby mbm1 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:09 pm

these files are document files
mbm1

Re: OS 7.1 & Clarisworks 2.1

Postby Barry » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:35 am

mbm1 wrote:I have recently started redatabasing from my old Mac running on OS 7.1 to my new Powerbook G4. the G4 is running OS 10.3.9 and would need a possible way to transfer files from old to new machines. Can everyone help? Easier the better.

I see two problems here: Finding a connection method that can be used by both machines, and an application that can open and use the older files and will run on the newer machine.

The PowerBook is capable of connecting via Sneaker net using CD ROM, and via FireWire, USB (1.1 and probably 2.0), Ethernet, and 56K Modem (and wirelessly via Airport and Airport Extreme).

If the 'older' Mac is an iMac (or newer), it will include an Ethernet port and a CD ROM drive (which may be capable of burning CDs).

If your old Mac is capable of an ethernet connection, you can set it up as a file server, connect the two machines with an ethernet cable, and simply drag the files from the server (old machine) to the powerbook.

If the older Mac has FireWire, you could start the PowerBook in Target mode, connect it to the old machine (where it will appear as a hard drive icon), and drag files onto this 'external drive'. To start the PB in Target mode, first shut it down, then restart it be pressing the power button, and hold down the T key until the FireWire icon appears on the PB's monitor.

If the older Mac has a CD burner, you could burn the files to CD, then Sneaker Net them across the room to the PowerBook.

One of those should solve the first half of the problem. The second may be more difficult. AppleWorks 6 is not bundled with your PowerBook (or any of the 'professional' machines. Even if it were, AW 6 is not capable of opening ClarisWorks 2 files (or even ClarisWorks 4 files). CW underwent a major change in file format from version 3 to version 4, and issued a small (and free) application whose one talent was converting back and forth between CW 2/3 and CW 4 formats. AppleWorks 5 was able to read CW 4 files, and will run on your PB in Classic.

Another option would be to move CW 2 onto the PB, but it would not run under OS X, and I suspect it would break under Mac OS 9.x.x (Classic).

That leaves you with the prospect of doing the conversion on your old machine, prior to transferring the files. Unfortunately, this is a one-at-a-time process, opening each file into CW 2 and saving it in a form (probably RTF or plain Text for word processor files) that can be opened by whatever applications you are using on the PowerBook.

Regards, and sympathy, should this last route be necessary,

Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo