Merging database files

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Merging database files

Postby aptokash » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:20 pm

A colege group uses appleworks database to save data. They use two computers and somehow set it up so each computer has 7 different database files.

I've been asked to help merge these 14 files into one APPLEWORKS database.

Is this possible? Their computer group was unable to help them.
aptokash

Re: Merging database files

Postby Dale » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:18 am

aptokash wrote:A colege group uses appleworks database to save data. They use two computers and somehow set it up so each computer has 7 different database files.

Barry's the expert here with AppleWorks databases. But I believe this is possible.

First, all the databases should have the same number and type of fields as the other databases do. Then it should be simple to import each database into an existing or new database by choosing File > Import menu.
Dale

Re: Merging database files

Postby Barry » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:46 am

Dale wrote:
aptokash wrote:A college group uses appleworks database to save data. They use two computers and somehow set it up so each computer has 7 different database files.

Barry's the expert here with AppleWorks databases. But I believe this is possible.

First, all the databases should have the same number and type of fields as the other databases do. Then it should be simple to import each database into an existing or new database by choosing File > Import menu.

Just a few details to add, Dale.

As well as having the same number and types of fields, the DBs need to have those fields in the same Tab order.

The menu item is Insert (although it's functionally the same as an Import item would be).

When Inserting, make sure you do not have the Insertion point in a field. Click on any record, but ouside the fields so that the whole record is highlighted.

Inserted records will be added to the end of the DB.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo