Assistants disappeared

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Assistants disappeared

Postby lightning » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:02 pm

I am using AW 6, running mac os 9.04. I used to be able to print business cards, but can no more. When I try to open Appleworks Assistants from my hard drive ( the tabs disappeared too!) I get the error message "cannot convert this file to an Appleworks document." This is very mysterious and frustrating. The folder in which I saved a group of finished business cards also disappeared from my desktop and hard drive. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?
Thanks!!
lightning

Re: Assistants disappeared

Postby Dale » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:18 pm

lightning wrote:I am using AW 6, running mac os 9.04. I used to be able to print business cards, but can no more. When I try to open Appleworks Assistants from my hard drive ( the tabs disappeared too!) I get the error message "cannot convert this file to an Appleworks document." This is very mysterious and frustrating. The folder in which I saved a group of finished business cards also disappeared from my desktop and hard drive. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?
Thanks!!

AppleWorks can't find Assistants if the AppleWorks application has been moved out of its folder, or its Assistants have been moved out their folder.

Check to see that AppleWorks 6 is in an AppleWorks folder, and that the Assistants are still in the AppleWorks 6 > Starting Points > Assistants folder.
Dale

assistants disappeared

Postby lightning » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:01 am

Thanks for the response. I have dragged Appleworks folder onto my desktop, placed the Appleworks 6 folder in it and it contains Starting points which contain Assistants but I still get the same error message. I find I have several Appleworks folders in my hard drive. Does this matter? Should I throw them out? When I open Appleworks all I get it as 1/2 by 8 and 1/2 rectangle on top of the screen which contains wordprocessing, painting etc. icons. No hint of Starting Points or Assistants. Can you assist me further?
Thanks very much.
lightning

Re: assistants disappeared

Postby Peggy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:24 am

lightning wrote:Thanks for the response. I have dragged Appleworks folder onto my desktop, placed the Appleworks 6 folder in it and it contains Starting points which contain Assistants but I still get the same error message. I find I have several Appleworks folders in my hard drive. Does this matter? Should I throw them out? When I open Appleworks all I get it as 1/2 by 8 and 1/2 rectangle on top of the screen which contains wordprocessing, painting etc. icons. No hint of Starting Points or Assistants. Can you assist me further?
Thanks very much.

Put the AppleWorks folder with all of its necessary content in the Applications folder. If you want AppleWorks available on the Desktop, create an alias.
Peggy

Re: assistants disappeared

Postby Dale » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:49 am

lightning wrote:Thanks for the response. I have dragged Appleworks folder onto my desktop, placed the Appleworks 6 folder in it and it contains Starting points which contain Assistants but I still get the same error message.

You've got this the wrong way about. The application AppleWorks 6 should be inside the AppleWorks folder. This folder should also contain quite a few other items such as an AppleWorks Essentials folder, etc.

And the AppleWorks folder should be in your Applications folder.

As Peggy notes, if you want an icon for AppleWorks somewhere either create an alias of it on your Desktop, or drag it into the Dock.

lightning wrote:I find I have several Appleworks folders in my hard drive. Does this matter? Should I throw them out? When I open Appleworks all I get it as 1/2 by 8 and 1/2 rectangle on top of the screen which contains wordprocessing, painting etc. icons. No hint of Starting Points or Assistants. Can you assist me further?
Thanks very much.

You only need one AppleWorks folder on your Mac. Pick one of the folders, make sure it has the all the required AppleWorks files and folders inside it as if it has just been installed, and get rid of the rest.

With regard to the "rectangle on top of the screen" it sounds like you need to delete AppleWorks' preference files.

Peggy has written a User Tip over on Apple's Support web site which explains the above steps well.

<http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.68ab7daf.68931bd2>

Dale
Dale

appleworks malfunction

Postby lightning » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:35 pm

I re-installed Appleworks 6 from my original software CD, trashed the old version and now it works fine. Anyone else with this problem should do the same. Thanks to all who offered to help me.
lightning

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo