Convert Spreadsheet to Database

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Convert Spreadsheet to Database

Postby schwarm » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:19 pm

How can I convert a spreadsheet to a database without having to create all the fields that would represent the columns of information in my spreadsheet (ie. Name, Address, etc.)? Thank you
schwarm

Re: Convert Spreadsheet to Database

Postby Barry » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:43 am

schwarm wrote:How can I convert a spreadsheet to a database without having to create all the fields that would represent the columns of information in my spreadsheet (ie. Name, Address, etc.)? Thank you

You can't, except by using a database file that already has those fields defined.

When you 'convert' a spreadsheet to a database you're actually just moving the data from one document to another. The receiving document must have a place to put each piece of data. If the receiving document is a spreadsheet, that means it must have at least as many columns as the originating spreadsheet. If the receiving document is a database, it means there must be a field corresponding to each column containing data in the spreadsheet.

In addition to the requirement that there be at least as many fields as columns, it's also required that the fields' tab order be the same as the column order of the spreadsheet.

As your spreadsheet appears to be a name and address list, your easiest route might be to create the DB using the Address List Assistant, found in the ASssistants tab in Starting Points. Field names and tab order may be edited to match your spreadsheet. Extra fields are OK, provided they come later in the tab order than any fields that will receive data from your spreadsheet.

Once you have the tab order set, select all the records that the Assistant puts into the DB, then choose Clear from the Edit menu. This will give you an empty DB into which you can Paste all of the data from your spreadsheet.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby schwarm » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:54 pm

Barry wrote:
schwarm wrote:How can I convert a spreadsheet to a database without having to create all the fields that would represent the columns of information in my spreadsheet (ie. Name, Address, etc.)? Thank you

You can't, except by using a database file that already has those fields defined.

When you 'convert' a spreadsheet to a database you're actually just moving the data from one document to another. The receiving document must have a place to put each piece of data. If the receiving document is a spreadsheet, that means it must have at least as many columns as the originating spreadsheet. If the receiving document is a database, it means there must be a field corresponding to each column containing data in the spreadsheet.

In addition to the requirement that there be at least as many fields as columns, it's also required that the fields' tab order be the same as the column order of the spreadsheet.

As your spreadsheet appears to be a name and address list, your easiest route might be to create the DB using the Address List Assistant, found in the ASssistants tab in Starting Points. Field names and tab order may be edited to match your spreadsheet. Extra fields are OK, provided they come later in the tab order than any fields that will receive data from your spreadsheet.

Once you have the tab order set, select all the records that the Assistant puts into the DB, then choose Clear from the Edit menu. This will give you an empty DB into which you can Paste all of the data from your spreadsheet.

Regards,
Barry

Thanks for your reply, Barry. I was hoping there was some feature similar to FilMaker Pro. This program is able to transfer or "convert" a spreadsheet into a FileMaker Pro database without having to define Field names. It simply uses the column names as they appear in row A. I also like the drag and drop feature.

On that note, can I "convert" a FileMaker Pro database into an AppleWorks database without defining all the field names? I have quite a few in the FileMaker Pro database. Thanks, again.
schwarm

Postby Barry » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:50 pm

schwarm wrote:
Barry wrote:When you 'convert' a spreadsheet to a database you're actually just moving the data from one document to another. The receiving document must have a place to put each piece of data.

Thanks for your reply, Barry. I was hoping there was some feature similar to FilMaker Pro. This program is able to transfer or "convert" a spreadsheet into a FileMaker Pro database without having to define Field names. It simply uses the column names as they appear in row A. I also like the drag and drop feature.

On that note, can I "convert" a FileMaker Pro database into an AppleWorks database without defining all the field names? I have quite a few in the FileMaker Pro database. Thanks, again.

Same problem (more or less). Appleworks can import the data, but not the structure of the file, including labels for the fields.

In addition, if you're importing from FMPro (or any other relational database), you need to be aware that AppleWorks's DB is a Flat File application, NOT a relational DB. That will add difficulties if the FMPro DB uses the relational capabilities of that application.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo