Create database that will print address labels. No luck.

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Create database that will print address labels. No luck.

Postby fschneiderxx » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:17 pm

Appleworks 6.2.9 on an I Book G4 with Mac 10.3.2.

Trying to create a database that will print address labels. The “lines” for name, street address, street address2, city, state, and zip are all for text. The one layout is for Avery 8160.

All of the “lines” are shown in “list” layout. Only State and zip show in “Brouse” layout.

I want to insert a sheet of labels in the printer and print. The only printing I can get at this point is nothing like a label. What do I need to do so that I can print Avery 8160 labels. Many thanks. The instructions in "help" are doing me no good.
fschneiderxx

Re: Create database that will print address labels. No luck

Postby Barry » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:19 pm

fschneiderxx wrote:Appleworks 6.2.9 on an I Book G4 with Mac 10.3.2.

Trying to create a database that will print address labels. The “lines” for name, street address, street address2, city, state, and zip are all for text. The one layout is for Avery 8160.

All of the “lines” are shown in “list” layout. Only State and zip show in “Browse” layout.

I want to insert a sheet of labels in the printer and print. The only printing I can get at this point is nothing like a label. What do I need to do so that I can print Avery 8160 labels. Many thanks. The instructions in "help" are doing me no good.

To offer advice, I need a clearer picture of where you're starting.

From what you've said, you currently have a database with the following fields: 'name', 'address1', 'address2', 'city', 'state', 'zip' (and possibly some other fields as well.

Do you have any information in the database as yet? AppleWorks will create one label for each record in the DB. If you have fewer than 30 records, you won't see a full page of labels. If your records do not contain data, you labels will also not contain that data.

List view is a simple layout that allows you to see all fields of your DB laid out on a spreadsheet-like grid.

Browse mode takes you to one of the Layouts listed at the bottom of the Layout menu. In Browse, you may enter or edit data in the records in your DB.

Layout mode does not change which Layout you see, but allows you to edit the Layout (a way of viewing the data) rather than the data itself.

[b]Find mode{/b] also shows the selected layout, and allows you to select specified records that fit the Find criteria you enter into Fields on the Layout.

Another question: What Fields ar on the Avery 8160 Layout in your DB? To find out, go Layout > Avery 8160, then Layout > Layout. While you're there, does the Layout fit the Avery label sheet? You should see a horizontal grey line labelled Body, and a vertical grey line from it to the top of the page. If you show the Rulers (shift-command-U), the Body line shoud be at 1", the vertical line at 2 5/8"

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby fschneiderxx » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:48 am

Barry wrote:

All of the “lines” are shown in “list” layout. Only State and zip show in “Browse” layout.

From what you've said, you currently have a database with the following fields: 'name', 'address1', 'address2', 'city', 'state', 'zip' (and possibly some other fields as well.

These are the only fields in the database.

Do you have any information in the database as yet? AppleWorks will create one label for each record in the DB. If you have fewer than 30 records, you won't see a full page of labels. If your records do not contain data, you labels will also not contain that data.

There are 10 records. The first one can be used. the others are onl;y test records.

List view is a simple layout that allows you to see all fields of your DB laid out on a spreadsheet-like grid.

Browse mode takes you to one of the Layouts listed at the bottom of the Layout menu. In Browse, you may enter or edit data in the records in your DB.

Layout mode does not change which Layout you see, but allows you to edit the Layout (a way of viewing the data) rather than the data itself.

[b]Find mode{/b] also shows the selected layout, and allows you to select specified records that fit the Find criteria you enter into Fields on the Layout.

Another question: What Fields ar on the Avery 8160 Layout in your DB? To find out, go Layout > Avery 8160, then Layout > Layout. While you're there, does the Layout fit the Avery label sheet? You should see a horizontal grey line labelled Body, and a vertical grey line from it to the top of the page. If you show the Rulers (shift-command-U), the Body line shoud be at 1", the vertical line at 2 5/8"

this is what shows up. All of the data is inside the "box," except city and zip code. they are outside the box. What doe4s body mean?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,n?

Barry
fschneiderxx

Postby Barry » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:32 am

fschneiderxx wrote:
Barry wrote:

These are the only fields in the database.

OK

There are 10 records. The first one can be used. the others are onl;y test records.

When you say "the first one can be used," do you mean the first one is the only one containing any data? If that's the case, and if your Labels layout contains only Field frames (ie. no text or graphics placed directly onto the Layout), then you will see no sign of labels beyond the first one. Field frames only display the data contained in the field. No data, no display.

Find mode{/b] also shows the selected layout, and allows you to select specified records that fit the Find criteria you enter into Fields on the Layout.

Another question: What Fields are on the Avery 8160 Layout in your DB? To find out, go Layout > Avery 8160, then Layout > Layout. While you're there, does the Layout fit the Avery label sheet? You should see a horizontal grey line labelled Body, and a vertical grey line from it to the top of the page. If you show the Rulers (shift-command-U), the Body line shoud be at 1", the vertical line at 2 5/8"

this is what shows up. All of the data is inside the "box," except city and zip code. they are outside the box. What does body mean?

I'm not sure what you mean by the "box". My assumption is that it's equivalent to what I've described below as the "Body" of the layout.

[b]Body refers to the main part of a Layout, usually the only part in a labels layout. It's the only part of the layout that is visible in Page view.

In Layout view (choose Layout in the Layout menu), the Body is indicated by a grey horizontal line running the full width of the window. At the left end of this line there's a rectangular box containing the label "Body". In a Labels layout, the position of the horizontal Body boundary controls the vertical space that each label takes on the page. Take care not to move it.

On a Labels layout there is a second grey line running vertically from a point on the Body boundary to the top of the window. This represents the right edge of a single label, and is set when you define the dimensions of the labels, either by choosing from the list of Avery numbers, or by entering the dimensions after choosing a Custom label. This boundary cannot be moved except by starting over and defining a new Labels layout.

Anything that is placed in the space ABOVE the horizontal boundary AND to the LEFT of the vertical boundary will appear on the label when it is printed. This may include graphic objects, text objects (Frames containing Text), or Field objects (Frames containing Fields). Graphics objects will display the graphic on each label. Text objects will display the text they contain on each label. A Field object will display the contents of its field from a different record on each label.

In your layout, you should have four lines of fields, arranged as follows:

'name'
'address 1'
'address 2'
'city' 'state' 'zip'

To improve the appearance of the final line, I'd suggest creating a new Calculation type field ('CSZ') with the formula:

UPPER('city'&" "&'state'&" "&'zip')

and using this field in place of the three shown in the bottom line above.

The formula displays (and prints) this line in the format fitting USPS guidelines (ALL CAPS, no punctuation, two spaces between items in the line).

Hope thie helps.

Regards,

Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo