"Cannot convert file to Appleworks document"

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

"Cannot convert file to Appleworks document"

Postby lightning » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:02 pm

I just tried to help a friend who runs Mac 9.1 and cannot get a complete version of Apple works 6 to function fully. Though Assistants and Extras are in the right place, he gets the above error message when he tries to open them I re-installed Appleworks 6 ( for O
lightning

Re: "Cannot convert file to Appleworks document"

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:08 pm

I just tried to help a friend who runs Mac 9.1 and cannot get a complete version of Apple works 6 to function . Though Assistants and Extras are in the right place, he gets the above error message when he tries to open them I re-installed Appleworks 6 ( for Os 9 )and the installation was successful. I could not find the version for OS 9.1 on the software install CD. All files seem to be in the proper folders though there is no Appleworks folder , only Appleworks 6 at the top. Does anyone have an idea as what to do to fix this?

Postby Peggy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:29 pm

Anonymous wrote:I just tried to help a friend who runs Mac 9.1 and cannot get a complete version of Apple works 6 to function . Though Assistants and Extras are in the right place, he gets the above error message when he tries to open them I re-installed Appleworks 6 ( for Os 9 )and the installation was successful. I could not find the version for OS 9.1 on the software install CD. All files seem to be in the proper folders though there is no Appleworks folder , only Appleworks 6 at the top. Does anyone have an idea as what to do to fix this?

It sounds like you are trying to open these by double-clicking them in the Finder. You can only open the Assistants through Starting Points.
Peggy

Postby Barry » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:31 pm

lightning wrote:I just tried to help a friend who runs Mac 9.1 and cannot get a complete version of Apple works 6 to function fully. Though Assistants and Extras are in the right place, he gets the above error message when he tries to open them I re-installed Appleworks 6 ( for O

How is he trying to open the Assistants? The Assistants are written to be opened ONLY via Starting Points within AppleWorks. If he's double-clicking the file itself, the message you mention will come up.

With AppleWorks running, press command-1 to show Starting Points, then click on the Assistants tab. Double click the appropriate icon [i]in Starting Points{/i] to launch the Assistant.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

No Assistants Tab

Postby lightning » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:53 am

Thanks Barry but the problem is in Starting Points there is no Assistants tab. It is missing. The First tab is Basic( word processing), next is Recent Items ( I'm not as that computer now so I don't remember the others.) This is weird because Assistants is listed in the hard drive under Appleworks 6. This was the problem with the original installation, the second installation , and happened even with another copy of the software I brought to this computer. (Imac, year 2001).
lightning

Re: No Assistants Tab

Postby Barry » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:55 am

lightning wrote: This is weird because Assistants is listed in the hard drive under Appleworks 6. This was the problem with the original installation, the second installation , and happened even with another copy of the software I brought to this computer. (Imac, year 2001).

Is the Assistants folder inside the Starting Points folder? (it should be for Starting Points to find and list it.)

Regards,
Barry
Barry

assistants folder

Postby lightning » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:58 am

Yes Barry, the Assistants folder is listed in the hard drive as being in the Starting Points folder. Yet it creates no tab and cannot be opened. Can anyone understand why?
Thank.
lightning

Re: assistants folder

Postby Peggy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:48 am

lightning wrote:Yes Barry, the Assistants folder is listed in the hard drive as being in the Starting Points folder. Yet it creates no tab and cannot be opened. Can anyone understand why?
Thank.

Is the AppleWorks 6 application in the same folder as the AppleWorks Essentials, Clippings & Starting Points folders?
Peggy

Appleworks 6 Folder

Postby lightning » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:35 am

The other folder are listed under the Appleworks 6 folder, indented as if inside this folder. Someone else suggested to trash the Appleworks preferences in the System folder. When I get to my friends computer I will try that. I should also test the software intall CD on another computer to see if it i defective.
lightning

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo