AW crashes when deleting DB field

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

AW crashes when deleting DB field

Postby Leigh » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:13 am

I am having a terrible time with AW crashing every single time I try to delete database fields. I have AW 6.2.9, running on Mac OS 10.4.2 on both my PowerBook and my iMac. The error occurs on both machines.

In layout mode I have an existing database layout. I want to remove several fields to change the layout a bit. I highlight the fields. Then press control X. CRASH. Every single time. Same thing if I highlight the fields and go up to the drop down menu and mouse click on Edit - Cut.

I can usually delete one field at a time (if I save first, delete one, save, delete one, save, delete one, etc.) But even deleting one field at a time it still sometimes crashes.

AW does NOT crash if I delete objects or graphics, or the field names. It only crashes if I delete fields.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled AW two times, so I don't think the program has been corrupted, especially since it's happening on two different computers.

Anybody know anything about this??

Thanks
Leigh
Leigh

Re: AW crashes when deleting DB field

Postby Barry » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:42 am

Leigh wrote:I am having a terrible time with AW crashing every single time I try to delete database fields. I have AW 6.2.9, running on Mac OS 10.4.2 on both my PowerBook and my iMac. The error occurs on both machines.

In layout mode I have an existing database layout. I want to remove several fields to change the layout a bit. I highlight the fields. Then press control X. CRASH. Every single time. Same thing if I highlight the fields and go up to the drop down menu and mouse click on Edit - Cut.

I can usually delete one field at a time (if I save first, delete one, save, delete one, save, delete one, etc.) But even deleting one field at a time it still sometimes crashes.

AW does NOT crash if I delete objects or graphics, or the field names. It only crashes if I delete fields.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled AW two times, so I don't think the program has been corrupted, especially since it's happening on two different computers.

Anybody know anything about this??

Thanks
Leigh

This is a guess, Leigh.

If this is happening with a single DB file, it's likely that the fiel is corrupted.

You may be able to cleqar out the corruption with this little bit of voodoo:

Open the file. Save as an AppleWorks 5 document (using a slightly different name to avoid overwriting the original). Quit AppleWorks.

Launch AppleWorks again. Go File > Open. Change the File type popup to All available, navigate to the AW 5 copy, and Open it. Save this file, then try making the changes.

Good luck.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

DB Crash When deleting Fields

Postby DVincent » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:12 pm

I have also had this problem in the past. In my case, I think I narrowed the problem down to this: I believe my DB crashed when I tried to delete a field that was linked to another, active field through a formula, such as elapsed dates, or current age of someone (based on two other fields that contained their birthday, and one that contained 'today's date'.) I solved my problem by either deleting fields one at a time, and then saving (like you mentioned), and also, deleting the fields that were linked by formula working my way backward - first the data field, (current age), and then the dependent fields ('today's date, then birthday). Finally, I also solved the problem another way by duplicating the entire data base, leaving out the fields I wanted to delete, and then just cutting and pasting all my data into the new database via a spreadsheet (old DB to SS to new DB)
DVincent

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo