Copying records between multiple databases.

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Copying records between multiple databases.

Postby jackwm2 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:59 pm

I am a Band Director who recently began to use Apple Works 6.2.9. I need to create several databases, one for current members, one for graduates, and one for members who dropped out. How do I transfer records from one DB to another without entering all the data again. Thanks for all help with this problem.
jackwm2

Re: Copying records between multiple databases.

Postby Peggy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:56 pm

jackwm2 wrote:I am a Band Director who recently began to use Apple Works 6.2.9. I need to create several databases, one for current members, one for graduates, and one for members who dropped out. How do I transfer records from one DB to another without entering all the data again. Thanks for all help with this problem.

I assume that these databases all have the same fields. If so, just select the ones in the first database, Cut (from the File menu or Command + X), go to the destination database & Paste. You can select non-contiguous records by holding down the Command key when selecting the records.
Peggy

Postby jackwm2 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:42 pm

Peggy wrote:
jackwm2 wrote:I am a Band Director who recently began to use Apple Works 6.2.9. I need to create several databases, one for current members, one for graduates, and one for members who dropped out. How do I transfer records from one DB to another without entering all the data again. Thanks for all help with this problem.

I assume that these databases all have the same fields. If so, just select the ones in the first database, Cut (from the File menu or Command + X), go to the destination database & Paste. You can select non-contiguous records by holding down the Command key when selecting the records.

Is there any way to move the whole record as a unit? Thanks for all help.
jackwm2

Postby Peggy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:59 pm

jackwm2 wrote:
Peggy wrote:

Is there any way to move the whole record as a unit? Thanks for all help.

Yes, that is what I meant. Make sure the whole record is highlighted by clicking outside of a field. I like doing it in List view. Just click the little box/space to the left of the record.
Peggy

Postby Barry » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:02 am

Jack, an alternate solution might be to add a 'Status' field to the member DB and keep all the records in one database. That would eliminate the need to transfer records at all. When a member left the band, you'd just go to his record and change the status from "Current" to "Graduated" or "Dropped out". If you created this as a Popup field (with a default entry of "Current" to avoid having to select a status when you add a member), you'd be able to change the status without even typing in the new information.

This would allow you to get a list of all members in a specific category using Find (records).

Post if you want more information on how to go about this.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo