Data bases

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Data bases

Postby Rhiannon Beech » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:38 pm

Question One:
I run a DB of about 600 names and addresses etc in two formats. One is a complete set of all the members, the second a selected set of members, a sub set of the main list. I have a recent block of additions to the main list, not yet sorted, so easy to highlight and to identify. I need to move them, import? to the sub set, so they appear in a block in the sub set and can then be sorted to fit in. How do I do this.? I keep the DB in list all the time.
Second question: One of the fields is now defunct and I would like to remove it. So far I have only been able to squash it up to one character width in the list form. There must be a better way?
Thank you for anticipated help. Rhiannon
Rhiannon Beech

Data bases

Postby JJ » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:31 pm

Can not help with the first part of your question.

As for deleting fields, choose the Layout menu and select Define Fields. From the list of field names select the one you want to delete. From the menu selections just below the list of field names, click on Delete. You will be asked if you are sure you want to delete the field and all its contents, select Yes and that should delete the unwanted field.

JJ
JJ

Re: Data bases

Postby Barry » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:48 am

Rhiannon Beech wrote:Question One:
I run a DB of about 600 names and addresses etc in two formats. One is a complete set of all the members, the second a selected set of members, a sub set of the main list. I have a recent block of additions to the main list, not yet sorted, so easy to highlight and to identify. I need to move them, import? to the sub set, so they appear in a block in the sub set and can then be sorted to fit in. How do I do this.? I keep the DB in list all the time.
Second question: One of the fields is now defunct and I would like to remove it. So far I have only been able to squash it up to one character width in the list form. There must be a better way?

JJ has answered your second question.

For the first, a question in return: Why are you keeping the subset in a separate file?

If you want to work with a subset of the membership list, the easiest way is to determine or define a way to identify that subset, then use a search to select and show only the records that are in the subset (or to select and hide the records that are NOT if the subset).

For example, in the membership list that I keep I sometimes want to work with the records of only the members who have not paid their dues for the current year. I have a checkbox field, 'Paid', which I check when a member's dues are paid. When I want a list of only those members who haven't yet paid, I press shift-command-F (or go to Find in the Layout menu), Click to check the 'Paid' box, Click Omit, then Click Find (both in the Tools palette to the left).

If you have a particular subset that you work with regularly, you can easily record a Search that will bring up that group with a single menu selection from the Search button. Then record a Report that will use that search, then place the the results in the List view format that you regularly use.

The beauty of a database is that it allows you to enter the information a single time, then view and work with all or parts of it in many different ways.

Regards,
Barry

PS: If you still want to do the extra work of maintaining two separate files, here's the instructions for moving a copy of the records into the second file.

Both files must contain the same fields. The fields must be in the same order. It's assumed you are using List view for both.

1. Open the source file (where you've entered the data) and the target file (where you're going to put a copy of the data).

2. Use the Window menu to bring the source file to the front.

3. Select the records to be tranferred.*

4. Copy. (command-C)

5. Use the Window menu to bring the target file to the front.

6. Select any record (ie. to highlight the whole line).*

7. Paste. (command-V)

The pasted records will be added to the end of the target file in the same order as they were when copied.

* To select a record in List view, click the small empty rectangle at the left end of the record.
  To select a block of contiguous records, click the first on as above, then shift-click the last one in the block.
  To select a set of non-contiguous records, click the first one as above, then command-click each of the others in turn.

B
Barry

Re: Data bases

Postby Rhiannon Beech » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:29 am

Barry wrote:
Rhiannon Beech wrote:Question One:

JJ has answered your second question.

For the first, a question in return: Why are you keeping the subset in a separate file?

If you want to work with a subset of the membership list, the easiest way is to determine or define a way to identify that subset, then use a search to select and show only the records that are in the subset (or to select and hide the records that are NOT if the subset).

For example, in the membership list that I keep I sometimes want to work with the records of only the members who have not paid their dues for the current year. I have a checkbox field, 'Paid', which I check when a member's dues are paid. When I want a list of only those members who haven't yet paid, I press shift-command-F (or go to Find in the Layout menu), Click to check the 'Paid' box, Click Omit, then Click Find (both in the Tools palette to the left).

If you have a particular subset that you work with regularly, you can easily record a Search that will bring up that group with a single menu selection from the Search button. Then record a Report that will use that search, then place the the results in the List view format that you regularly use.

The beauty of a database is that it allows you to enter the information a single time, then view and work with all or parts of it in many different ways.

Regards,
Barry

PS: If you still want to do the extra work of maintaining two separate files, here's the instructions for moving a copy of the records into the second file.

Both files must contain the same fields. The fields must be in the same order. It's assumed you are using List view for both.

1. Open the source file (where you've entered the data) and the target file (where you're going to put a copy of the data).

2. Use the Window menu to bring the source file to the front.

3. Select the records to be tranferred.*

4. Copy. (command-C)

5. Use the Window menu to bring the target file to the front.

6. Select any record (ie. to highlight the whole line).*

7. Paste. (command-V)

The pasted records will be added to the end of the target file in the same order as they were when copied.

* To select a record in List view, click the small empty rectangle at the left end of the record.
To select a block of contiguous records, click the first on as above, then shift-click the last one in the block.
To select a set of non-contiguous records, click the first one as above, then command-click each of the others in turn.

B

Barry, thank you, and JJ. Answer to toyr question is: I had not realised I ould mark the sub set. The DB is a confidential list of members who have contacted our chaplaincy for whatever reason, and is kept confidential because of the UK laws on data protection. Some members have requested a shorter list be published of members who are particularly involved in the chaplaincy and are willing to have their names and addresses published.. No more complicated than that. But thanks for the help, and for the site. I have scrolled through pages of the entries, and printed out any solutions which might be of use to me in the future!Rhiannon
Rhiannon Beech

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo