captions in word processing

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

captions in word processing

Postby guywindsor » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:53 am

Hi
I have recently shifted from PC to Mac (cheers all round), and am writing an illustrated book. This is my first time using Appleworks, and I'm having some teething trouble.

Is it possible to create a caption list in my word-processed document?

In other words, every time I need to put in a picture, in MS Word I would go to style: "caption": a window comes up with "figure" already inserted, I choose automatic numbering, and click OK; then text "figure 1" appears at the chosen point in the main text, and I can write my caption. The next time I need a figure inserted, it numbers itself "2", etc. etc.

You may guess from the above description that i am not terribly computer literate, but can follow instructions :)

So, how do I get my Appleworks word-processing document to give me the same service?

Thanks,
Guy
guywindsor

Re: captions in word processing

Postby Barry » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:48 am

guywindsor wrote:Hi
I have recently shifted from PC to Mac (cheers all round), and am writing an illustrated book. This is my first time using Appleworks, and I'm having some teething trouble.

Is it possible to create a caption list in my word-processed document?

In other words, every time I need to put in a picture, in MS Word I would go to style: "caption": a window comes up with "figure" already inserted, I choose automatic numbering, and click OK; then text "figure 1" appears at the chosen point in the main text, and I can write my caption. The next time I need a figure inserted, it numbers itself "2", etc. etc.

You may guess from the above description that i am not terribly computer literate, but can follow instructions :)

So, how do I get my Appleworks word-processing document to give me the same service?

Thanks,
Guy

You don't, as this is a feature not included in AppleWorks.

If you want to create a caption that is ties to a specific location in the text (rather than to a specific location on a page), the easiest method is to simply include the caption in the text string, along with temporary marker that will allow you to quickly find it. The numbering will have to be done 'by hand'.

For a bit more flexibility in moving the caption, but still tying it to a text location, place the caption in a Text Frame, then insert the frame as an inline object (Select and Cut the frame, click in the text where you want to place it, check that you are in Text mode—I beam cursor and insertion point in the text—then Paste. You won't be able to edit the text while the frame is an inline object, but cutting and pasting the frame as a floating object will bring back editability.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo