AW update??

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

AW update??

Postby Nolan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:44 pm

Following instructions (from Barry, I think), I downloaded AW updater to update my AW 6.04 to AW 6.2.8 (to keep macros). Updater gave me this message "When running Mac OS 9.1 or later, both Appleworks 6 for Mac OS 8 & 9 and AW 6 for OS X will be installed as a single application package. The correct version will run automatically." Problem is, AW 6.2.8 WON'T run automatically - or at all. Apparently I need help on how to open Classic (which always opened automatically before when I clicked on the AW icon). Went to <discussions.apple.com> as per instructions;it's no help. When I go to HD>Applications>Appleworks 6 and hold down Control while clicking on application icon, there's no "Show Package Content." Thus I can't get to Contents>MacOSClassic>Appleworks icon. None of these show up in Finder HD search.

BTW, AW 6.2.9 looks fine. When I got this Mac 3 years ago, the 6.2.9 that came with it messed up settings on old files when I opened them. For that reason -- and for macros -- I went back to 6.0.4. Still want macros, i.e. 6.2.8. I have AW 6.0.4 on backup disk; should I reinstall it?

In any event, I'm not touching anything else until (unless) somebody on AWUG tells me what to do.

And many thanks,

Nolan
Nolan

Re: AW update??

Postby haumann » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:06 am

Nolan wrote:Following instructions (from Barry, I think), I downloaded AW updater to update my AW 6.04 to AW 6.2.8 (to keep macros). Updater gave me this message "When running Mac OS 9.1 or later, both Appleworks 6 for Mac OS 8 & 9 and AW 6 for OS X will be installed as a single application package. The correct version will run automatically." Problem is, AW 6.2.8 WON'T run automatically - or at all. Apparently I need help on how to open Classic (which always opened automatically before when I clicked on the AW icon). Went to <discussions.apple.com> as per instructions;it's no help. When I go to HD>Applications>Appleworks 6 and hold down Control while clicking on application icon, there's no "Show Package Content." Thus I can't get to Contents>MacOSClassic>Appleworks icon. None of these show up in Finder HD search.

BTW, AW 6.2.9 looks fine. When I got this Mac 3 years ago, the 6.2.9 that came with it messed up settings on old files when I opened them. For that reason -- and for macros -- I went back to 6.0.4. Still want macros, i.e. 6.2.8. I have AW 6.0.4 on backup disk; should I reinstall it?

In any event, I'm not touching anything else until (unless) somebody on AWUG tells me what to do.

And many thanks,

Nolan

Nolan,
It works just as it says... If you launch AppleWorks from OS X, then v6.2.9 will open; if you launch AppleWorks from OS 9, then v6.2.8 will open. My guess is that you're trying to launch the OS 9 version from OS X. The trick, of course is how you launch the OS 9 version from Classic mode under OS X. If you click on a Finder window, that puts you right back into OS X, doesn't it?

If you're already running another Classic application, then go to the Apple Menu (while that other Classic application is still front-most) and select AppleWorks from the Recent Applications. Of course, if you haven't run it recently, then it won't be in the Recent Applications.

To launch the Classic version of AppleWorks from OS X, find the AppleWorks application package (in the AppleWorks folder) and control-click on the icon to bring up the contextual menu. Select "Show Package Contents" and open the "Contents" folder. Once you look in there, things will become pretty obvious -- you'll see a "MacOS" folder and a "MacOSClassic" folder. Open the latter and launch AppleWorks from there.

John@was
haumann

Postby Barry » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:19 am

Nolan wrote:Following instructions (from Barry, I think), I downloaded AW updater to update my AW 6.04 to AW 6.2.8 (to keep macros). Updater gave me this message "When running Mac OS 9.1 or later, both Appleworks 6 for Mac OS 8 & 9 and AW 6 for OS X will be installed as a single application package. The correct version will run automatically." Problem is, AW 6.2.8 WON'T run automatically - or at all. Apparently I need help on how to open Classic (which always opened automatically before when I clicked on the AW icon). Went to <discussions.apple.com> as per instructions;it's no help. When I go to HD>Applications>Appleworks 6 and hold down Control while clicking on application icon, there's no "Show Package Content." Thus I can't get to Contents>MacOSClassic>Appleworks icon. None of these show up in Finder HD search.

And many thanks,

Nolan

Hi Nolan.

I'm surprised at the Show package Contents item not showing in the menu that opens when you ctrl-click of the application. After reading your post, I checked a number of applications in my Applications folder, and all of them brought up the same 13 items:

Help

Open
Get Info

Show Package Contents
Move to Trash

Duplicate
Make alias
Create archive of "x"

Copy "x"
Color

Automator
Enable folder actions
Configure folder actions

I was able to get the same list without "Show package Contents" by:
1. Control-clicking on an OS 9 application in the Applications (Os 9) folder
2. Control-clicking on the AppleWorks 6 folder in the Applications folder.

I suspect the second is what you may have done.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby Dale » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:42 am

Nolan wrote:Following instructions (from Barry, I think), I downloaded AW updater to update my AW 6.04 to AW 6.2.8 (to keep macros). Updater gave me this message "When running Mac OS 9.1 or later, both Appleworks 6 for Mac OS 8 & 9 and AW 6 for OS X will be installed as a single application package. The correct version will run automatically." Problem is, AW 6.2.8 WON'T run automatically - or at all. Apparently I need help on how to open Classic (which always opened automatically before when I clicked on the AW icon).

John and Barry have already explained that AppleWorks 6.2.8 can be ran in Classic.

If you do have trouble going thru this process you can use my program, Sidekick for AppleWorks 6. It is a Mac OS X menu bar item that lets you open AppleWorks 6.2.8 just by clicking a "Classic AppleWorks 6" menu item.

http://dmgsoftware.com/sidekick/

Please also note that while Sidekick is a shareware program, certain features are free to use without limitation. One of these 'free' features is opening AppleWorks 6.2.8. You're welcome to use Sidekick for free for this purpose.

If you have any questions about Sidekick please use the form on the Support web page to contact me.

http://dmgsoftware.com/support/

Regards.

Dale
Dale

AW update??

Postby Nolan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:15 pm

Believe it or not, I finally got it! My Mac now has a Tiger in its tank -- AND both AW 6.2.8 (yea, macros) and AW 6.2.9.

I'm most grateful to you guys -- John, Barry, Dale. Without you it would never have happened. I've learned more about my Mac (and AW) in the last week than I've learned in the three years I've owned.

Dale, I know good things about Sidekick, and one of these days I'll get it. For now, however, I have AW 6.2.8 in my dock and can open it from there with just a click.

Again, thanks so much.

Nolan
Nolan

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo