AW 6.2.4 on XPsp2 won't open document

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

AW 6.2.4 on XPsp2 won't open document

Postby Compuhorsy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:19 pm

I will also be posting this to the discussion forums on Apple's site so I'll apologize in advance to those who follow both.

We have AW 6.2.4 loaded on HP and Dell machines with XPproSP2 with all available patches and QT 7 (the one that comes with iTunes whether you want it or not). The machines are imaged and are identical within their respective manufacturers.

We have multiple bad behaviors:

On one machine, if I login into Windows as Administrator, AW runs fine. If I login with a teacher account set up as a Power User, it runs like a dog - 2 to 5 min to start a blank wp document with no other programs running. I cleared all Recent Items and cache folders from the teacher account AppleWorks Data Folder. I gave ownership of the AppleWorks and QuickTime program directories and full control to the teacher account. I made the teacher account an administrator. I re-installed AW as the teacher account as administrator. I excluded the AppleWorks.exe and all cwk files from the anti-virus software scanning. All to no avail (I checked after each step with several machine shutdowns in the process).

On another machine identical to the previous one, trouble started by not opening an AW document that had worked earlier this year. Then it would not start a new document. We have totally uninstalled AW and QuickTime, deleted all related directories in programs and users folders and re-installed (multiple times), and we still cannot even start a new word processing document.

Is there some other security setting on another file I should check? Are there preferences to get rid of and where would they be located in XP? We just distributed these machines and they are in fact imaged and the other machines don't seem to have this problem. Could something have been corrupted?
Compuhorsy

Re: AW 6.2.4 on XPsp2 won't open document

Postby lokerd » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:51 am

Compuhorsy wrote:We have AW 6.2.4 loaded on HP and Dell machines with XPproSP2

Where is the 6.2.4 version for PC. According the Apple site, 6.2.2 is the latest for XP.

Thanks!
Drew
lokerd

Re: AW 6.2.4 on XPsp2 won't open document

Postby Compuhorsy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:04 pm

lokerd wrote:
Where is the 6.2.4 version for PC. According the Apple site, 6.2.2 is the latest for XP.

That has been pointed out to me. I was going by what was on the installation CD which is dual platform. I am guessing the version number applied to the Mac OS, not XP.

We have written off running AW on XP. We are migrating to OO.
Compuhorsy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo